First Responder – 1800RESPECT
Telstra Health is proud to work collaboratively with the Australian Government and specialist partners in preparation for the delivery of 1800RESPECT from 1 July 2022, as the national front door for people experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, domestic, family and sexual violence (DFSV) and workplace sexual harassment (WSH).
Vision: to achieve a significant reduction across the Australian community in the prevalence and impacts of domestic, family and sexual violence, including workplace sexual harassment – by improving first response processes, national sector integration, service reach and responsiveness to diverse groups; by strengthening community engagement; and by continuous enhancement of staff skills and technology.
Mission: to deliver a free, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week national service that provides information, counselling support and referrals to people experiencing, or at risk of, domestic, family and sexual violence, including workplace sexual harassment.
Purpose: to provide an accessible, high quality, clinically-informed and evidence-based service that meets the diverse needs and complex considerations of individuals seeking support.
About the role
We have a number of openings for First Responders who will provide telephone and online counselling, and use their skills to assess the unique needs of individuals seeking support as part of the national 1800RESPECT service.
Applications will be considered for multi-year contracts. First Responders will need to be available across a 24/7 roster, which will include evening and overnight shifts.
As a First Responder, you will help achieve sustained reduction in the prevalence and impacts of domestic, family and sexual violence through:
Service Delivery: You will provide immediate response to 1800RESPECT callers seeking support, in alignment with defined processes and procedures. You will deliver high quality tailored responses, and referrals where required, within the appropriate framework to meet the needs of individuals seeking support.
Stakeholder Engagement: You will build relationships across the 1800RESPECT program to support a transparent and inclusive work environment. It will also be expected that you maintain and develop knowledge in your area of expertise, ensuring you remain up to date on current practice guidelines.
Training & Development: You will maintain and develop knowledge in your area of speciality, as well as demonstrating a commitment to professional supervision for ongoing skills development and coaching purposes.
Team Support: You will be expected to act as part of a broader team by participating in team activities, attending staff meetings and supporting other staff members.
You must be able to meet the following criteria:
- A minimum three-year tertiary qualification in a relevant field such as social sciences
- At least two years full time counselling experience
- Demonstrated experience in counselling (preferably telephone counselling) or equivalent experience in specialised sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling.
- Demonstrated authentic, compassionate, empathetic responses in front line service delivery/ counselling role
- Experience working across telephone counselling/ intake/ assessment roles
- Capacity to work and support self and team in a complex and often demanding work environment.
- Holder of a current working with children check/vulnerable people check relevant to your State, or proof of application prior to interview
- Ability to work flexibly, including working from home and the 1800RESPECT office location when required
- A private room/space which can be used for your home office set up
- Reliable internet connection
- Eligibility for membership with a governing body of profession with either Australian Association of Social Workers; the Australian Psychological Society; Australian Counselling Association or the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia.
What you’ll get from us:
- Training and professional development
- Support and supervision to complement your own resilience and self-care skills
- 25% discount on Telstra services including home broadband and post-paid mobiles
- Free 24/7 professional and confidential support for you and your family
- Employee rewards program that includes discounts on shopping, gym memberships, movie tickets, health insurance and more
- A supportive and inclusive working environment where you can bring your whole self to work
- Flexible work including the ability to work from home with all equipment provided
- Multiple leave options including paid parental, family and domestic violence leave, cultural, volunteer, study and pandemic leave, as well as the option to purchase additional leave.
We encourage people from all backgrounds and locations across Australia to apply.
To ensure the safety and well-being of our people, this role will require the successful candidates to be vaccinated against Covid-19. Please speak to us if you have any questions about this based on your individual circumstances.
We are a Circle Back Initiative Employer. We commit to respond to every applicant, and you will hear back from us soon.