- Permanent full time opportunity
- Complete critical assessments including risk and safety
- Engage with families to support and improve their well being
Life at Mission Australia
When you join the team at Mission Australia, you become part of a community who are determined to end homelessness and ensure people in need can thrive. United by our Christian purpose and values, we stand together with anyone who needs us, for as long as they need us. Find out more about us and our purpose.
The Intensive Family Support service is an early intervention and prevention intensive family support service for families with children aged 0-18 who are at risk of entry into Child Safety Services under the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women. Its primary purpose is to improve the safety and well-being of vulnerable children. Mission Australia provides this service in three Queensland locations – Inala/Goodna, Pine Rivers/Deception Bay and Ipswich.
Our Lawnton team currently have a full time, permanent opportunity for an experienced Intensive Family Support Practitioner. Your passion to make a difference along with your experience in supporting families with high and complex needs will make you a welcome addition to this friendly and collaborative team. The role will promote sustainable change in family circumstances and functioning, resulting in a reduction in contact with the statutory child protection system.
Duties will include:
- Engaging with families and collaborating with them to develop effective plans for long-term positive outcomes
- Undertaking case management including reviews, reporting and administration functions
- Providing therapeutic intervention to support case plans
- Assisting clients to transition out of the service
Requirements for Success
With an already established career in the child, youth and family sector, you will be passionate about supporting families to strengthen the care of protection of their children. The skills and capabilities you bring include:
- A background in child protection, youth work or out of home care with demonstrable knowledge of Early Intervention principles
- Exceptional crisis management skills including the ability to quickly and effectively assess risk and safety
- Ability to engage, establish rapport and work respectfully families from different backgrounds, with different needs
- Provision of intervention strategies – planning, implementation and facilitation
- Case management from a strengths-based, trauma-informed and family-focused framework
- Strong administration skills – reporting, case notes and general documentation
- Exceptional communication, negotiation and influencing ability – able to relate to children, parents and other service providers
- Dedication to work within professional boundaries, integrity and ethical standards
- Great time management, prioritisation and ability to work within time frames while balancing your case load
- Evidence of full Covid 19 vaccination
You will need to hold a degree in Social Work, Social Sciences, Psychology or a similar field; have a valid First Aid Certificate and hold a current Blue Card and Queensland Drivers Licence.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Our innovative and inclusive culture will ensure you feel valued at Mission Australia as you help Australians in need and develop in your career.
We’re committed to the safety and wellbeing of each other and the people we serve.
We recognise and respect diversity. So, whoever you are, if you’re skilled and actively support our purpose and values, you would be welcome at Mission Australia.
Find out more about a career with Mission Australia.
If you need support to submit your application, please email [email protected].
- Rewarding work – every day you know you’re making a real difference
- Not-for-profit salary packaging, reducing your tax (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with health insurance and major retailers
- Free external, confidential counselling and access to chaplaincy support.
How to apply
View the Position Description and click “Apply now”. We will respond to your application.
Applications are shortlisted as they are received. Please apply as soon as possible to be considered. Thank you