Lives Lived Well is a leading support organisation for people who have problems with alcohol and drugs as well as other addictions such as gambling and associated mental health issues. We provide support services including residential rehabilitation and community counselling in more than 40 locations across Queensland and NSW.
About the Service
In a peaceful area based in Mareeba (Cairns), Shanty Creek is our Indigenous alcohol and drug residential treatment and recovery program. It provides support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men and women, aged 18 years and over, who are experiencing alcohol or other drugs dependency or misuse and mental health concerns. The program is dedicated to acceptance, compassion, respect and trust.
It is an environment where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men and women can find solutions to their drug and alcohol problems. Shanty Creek provides a safe and supportive environment, to assist clients in reaching their goals and reduce the harm of drugs or alcohol.
About the Role
We are looking for passionate Support Workers who will assist in establishing and maintaining a culturally appropriate and secure healing program that is sensitive to the specific cultural, social and spiritual aspirations of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This role will compliment the treatment provided by the clinical team to those experiencing programs associated with addiction.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the clinical team to maintain a culturally appropriate and secure program that is sensitive to the specific cultural, social, and ensure the community is safe and positive and that the program timetable is being followed.
- Working with residents at an individual and group level to assist them to address their addiction and the issues associated with this.
- Engaging with families and other individuals or agencies to develop a strong post-treatment support network.
- Maintaining a focus on resident’s strengths and work towards a positive future.
- Maintaining an awareness of community functioning and act to resolve community concerns and/or conflict.
As a Support Worker, you will demonstrate a passion to client service delivery. Your understanding of the cultural and historical issues that impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons, along with maintaining professional working relationships will ensure success in the role.
Additionally, you will also possess the following skills and experience:
- Understanding of the cultural and historical issues that impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons.
- Capacity to engage with, assess and case manage persons with alcohol or drug dependence and related problems.
- Experience in group work.
- Willingness to work in a team to identify and address problems.
- Tertiary qualification in relevant field (desirable).
This is an award position and the casual rate of pay is $34.04 – $36.50 per hour plus 25% casual loading dependent on skills and experience.
Ready to join us?
We at Lives Lived Well are committed to supporting the wellbeing of our staff by fostering a flexible, family-friendly work culture.
Click ‘apply’ and go to our LLW Careers page and submit your application. Please note we only accept applications through our Careers page.
For questions or information about the role, email [email protected]
Application close: Wednesday, 20 July 2022. Applicants will be contacted as they apply.
Confirmation of employment will be subject to candidate’s possession of a Current Australian Drivers Licence, Working with Children Check and completed Australian Criminal History Check and provision of COVID-19 vaccination certificate, in line with the LLW vaccination Policy.
Lives Lived Well is an equal employment opportunity employer. We encourage applications from a diverse range of social, cultural and gender backgrounds that reflect our community including First Peoples.