Location: Cairns servicing Cape York communities (FIFO position Mon – Fri)
Status: Full Time Fixed Term (until 30 June 2024) – Multiple contracts available!
Salary: $78,725 – $98,406 p.a. + 11% superannuation contribution
The filling of this position is specified. Applicants must provide contact details or a written reference from an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person who is willing to support their application.
There is a genuine occupational requirement for the incumbents to be female to ensure that cultural protocols and customs are being met.
Apunipima Cape York Health Council is a community controlled Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health service, which provides culturally appropriate, family centred, primary health care services to the communities and people of Cape York.
About the Opportunity
The Counsellor – Social and Emotional Wellbeing works individually and collectively as part of a multi-disciplinary Social and Emotional Wellbeing Team providing high quality, responsive and culturally appropriate services to individuals, families and community groups.
This is a FIFO position from Cairns. A typical week involves flying or driving out from Cairns on Monday morning and returning to Cairns on Friday. You will be provided with accommodation and a travel allowance as a FIFO employee.
It is a condition of employment for this position that the employee be vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with organisational policy requirements.
Pre-employment screening for vaccination against Vaccine Preventable Diseases will be conducted for the successful applicant.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Diploma of Counselling or tertiary qualification in Social Work or a related discipline
- Certificate IV/Diploma in Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) or Mental Health or willingness to enrol within 12 months of appointment.
- Must be eligible for membership or registration with a nationally recognised body appropriate to their relevant discipline
- Demonstrated counselling experience aligned with best practice standards and frameworks
- Demonstrated experience using diverse therapeutic frameworks and modalities to deliver individual and group-based services
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and as a practitioner with minimal supervision
- Understanding of the historical and contemporary issues that impact on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and their communities, particularly in Cape York
- Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people in accordance with community protocols and customs
- Current Blue Card positive notice or exemption, or willing and able to obtain prior to commencement
Apunipima is a great place to work, with opportunities to grow and develop and an environment of respect. As Counsellor SEWB, you will enjoy an attractive remuneration package, 5 weeks annual leave, annual leave loading, generous salary packaging opportunities, travel allowance and more.
How to Apply
Don’t miss the opportunity to join Apunipima. If you’re interested in this role, visit our website to view the Position Description and submit your application Work For Us (apunipima.org.au), including your resume, referee details and answers to the screening questions. Applications close on Sunday, 20 August 2023.
Vacancy Reference Number: 7186
Apunipima Cape York Health Council is an equal opportunity employer.