headspace is Australia’s National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds. The service is designed to make it as easy as possible for a young person and their family to get the help they need for problems affecting their wellbeing. This covers four core areas: mental health, physical health, vocational support, and alcohol and other drug services. To find out more about headspace visit www.headspace.org.au
Youturn is a national not-for-profit which delivers Health and Community Services to vulnerable people of all ages across Australia. Trusted to deliver safe, inclusive, and supportive programs, Youturn ensures that those we support can have access to secure and affordable housing and enjoy optimal mental well-being, allowing them to thrive and live a healthy, meaningful life.
In the past year alone, Youturn has provided support to nearly 10,000 individuals through a diverse range of health and community service initiatives. These programs encompass:
- Mental Health: Providing clinical and non-clinical support services to young people to manage their mental health.
- Suicide Prevention: Supporting people and communities bereaved or impacted by suicide.
- Child Safety: Providing children and young people with safe and caring environments.
- Homelessness: Delivering sustainable housing for those in need in our communities.
As an Access and Intake Worker you will engage, screen, assess, refer, provide brief interventions and coordinate care for young people aged 12-25 years that contact or are referred to headspace Bundaberg.
We are looking for someone who can relate to young people in a friendly and appropriate manner while conducting a range of assessments, including risk and bio-psycho-social assessments.
Some of the other key responsibilities will include:
- Facilitate and monitor the integration and coordination of care of headspace clients.
- Provide brief interventions to a small caseload of clients with mild to moderate mental health presentations.
- Conduct risk assessments, including assessment of suicide risk and violence and provide follow up support, referrals and treatment.
- Participate in the duty and intake system, answering phone calls and enquiries, screening and assessing needs, prioritising and making appropriate follow up appointments and referrals.
Please respond to each of the following criteria in your cover letter:
- Degree relevant to Social Work, Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Nursing where qualifications are sufficient for Professional membership and / or AHPRA Registration.
- Mental Health experience essential.
- Experience undertaking comprehensive mental health/risk assessments and has worked with young people or children.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in engagement, crisis intervention and management of young people presenting with mental ill health symptoms.
- Capacity to provide safe and effective evidence-based brief interventions to achieve optimal health outcomes for young people.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with young people, their families and significant others.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. To maximise service coordination and capacity building with community agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team and follow established processes that focus on early intervention, engagement, responsiveness and recovery of young people.
- Prior experience or at a minimum demonstrated commitment to working respectfully with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and culturally and linguistically diverse clients, communities, staff and Aboriginal Controlled Organisations.
- Successful applicants will also need to hold a ‘C’ class Open driver licence, State Working with Children Check and hold, or be eligible to apply for, a Licensed Care Suitability Check issued by the QLD Department of Child Safety, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs.
Why join Youturn?
- Benefits & Leave: Enjoy additional wellbeing benefits including corporate fitness discounts and Birthday Leave!
- Salary Packaging: Maximise your income by increasing your take home pay.
- Culture & Values: Supporting young people in their time of need, is at the heart of what we do at Youturn. Our organisational culture is built on trusting relationships that are meaningful and inclusive. We listen to understand, we embrace diversity and we offer a safe space free from judgement.
To ensure our young people receive individualised support, we invest in team members who embody our values to foster a collaborative culture of excellence.
We’d love to meet you!
If you have the skills, experience and passion to fit our team, please take the next step and apply by submitting your resume and cover letter.
For everyone who shares our passion
We encourage applications from people of all ages, nationalities, abilities and cultures – including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the LGBTQI+ community and people living with disability.