At Lives Lived Well, we’ve been treating and supporting people whose lives are affected by alcohol and other drugs for over 50 years. We also support people with mental health and gambling concerns and those transitioning from correctional centres. We’re growing fast and building a reputation as a trusted, innovative provider, focused on clinical excellence. Our driving belief is that “with the right support, people can change”.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Counsellor to join our Mackay AOD services team. This is a part-time position, and the specific working hours will be negotiated with the chosen candidate. The salary will range between gross $41.52 to $44.68 per hour plus super, depending on skills, knowledge, and experience.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide high quality engagement, assessment, counselling, and support services to clients, using evidence-based practice principles.
- Manage a caseload of clients, through providing support, service coordination, referral, and advocacy to assist client in achieving their goals.
- Effectively assess and manage client risk.
- Facilitate therapeutic group programs.
- Providing culturally appropriate practice as relevant to varying clients.
- Ensuring that client records, data collection and reporting are consistent with confidentiality and relevant practice standards.
- This position may also require some outreach travel.
The Mackay team is led by a supportive, approachable leader, who always ensures an open-door policy. You’ll be surrounded by an energetic and diverse team. Our client base is dispersed across the region, and this is a busy and dynamic AOD service in the Mackay city centre.
What you’ll bring
To succeed in this role, there are some essentials you’ll need:
- Demonstrated experience in working with clients who have AOD issues/concerns.
- Knowledge of contemporary evidence based AOD counselling practice, case management and intake and assessment.
- Tertiary qualifications in a related area health services discipline or equivalent experience.
- Interpersonal skills, including a high standard of written and oral communication skills.
- Hold a Blue Card (or ability to apply).
- Current Australian-issued Drivers Licence.
While not essential, we’d also love you to have:
- Local area knowledge of region
- Experience in delivering education programs and facilitating groups.
What matters most is that you’ll live and breathe our values, which means:
- You are humble, human and full of hope.
- You show up and share.
- You ask: Why not? And what’s next?
- You leave a positive wake.
Why? We believe that through these values, we do our best work – for each other, for clients, and for the communities we work in. And it’s a promise we make to you about the kind of experience you will have working for us.
Why work for Lives Lived Well?
Well, it’s about people, purpose, impact, and growth.
You’ll love working with talented people who share our values. Our services and treatments are as diverse as the communities we work in. And we’ve grown significantly in the past few years, with no plans of slowing down.
So, what does that mean for you? A real opportunity to go further!
- You’ll grow as a person and as a professional, extending your knowledge and skills beyond the norm.
- You’ll be trusted with autonomy in a supportive, respectful environment.
- You’ll make a lasting impact – on clients, the community and a team that cares as much as you.
But it’s more than that.
You’ll join a curious team that thinks differently and seeks new ways. We look to the evidence. We explore new ideas. And when we reach “better”, we ask, “What’s next?” Which means you’ll need to be comfortable with change – you’ll enjoy variety, the agility, and the opportunity to achieve more, faster.
While you support others, we’ll support you with some great benefits, including:
- An extra five paid leave days per year to support your wellbeing and work-life balance.
- Salary packaging to increase your take-home pay.
- Paid parental leave of 8 weeks.
- Regular clinical supervision, case conferencing and debriefings.
- An employee assistance program (EAP) for you and your family, including emotional, psychological, financial counselling and wellbeing services.
- Fitness Passport membership access to a wide range of gyms, pools, and fitness and leisure centres across Australia, at a discounted rate
- We are committed to celebrating the history, culture, and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. We offer ceremonial and NAIDOC leave and have established a support network for our First Nations staff, to build relationships, share knowledge and debrief.
Check out more employee benefits for you and your loved ones on our careers page.
Are you ready to imagine the possibilities? Apply now by submitting your Resume and a cover letter that tells us why you’re a great fit for the role.
Applications close: 20 August 2023
For questions or information about the role, please email [email protected]
Lives Lived Well is an equal employment opportunity employer. We encourage applications from a diverse range of social, cultural and gender backgrounds that reflect our community including First Peoples.
Confirmation of employment will be subject to candidate’s possession of a Current Australian Drivers Licence, Working with Children Check or completed Australian Criminal History Check and provision of COVID-19 vaccination certificate, in line with the LLW vaccination Policy.