- Max term till June 2024 | Full time
- Location: Keswick SA 5035
- Salary $72K + super + not for profit salary packaging
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Life at Mission Australia
When you join the team at Mission Australia, you become part of a community who are determined to end homelessness and ensure people in need can thrive. United by our Christian purpose and values, we stand together with anyone who needs us, for as long as they need us. Find out more about us and our purpose.
Are you a person with a lived experience of alcohol and other drug challenges, who identifies with young people aged between 10-25?
Are you looking for a career working with young people and supporting them on their recovery journey?
If you do not have a qualifications are you willing to undertake study in a fully funded Cert IV in Peer work?
An exciting opportunity for someone who is or wants to become an Alcohol and Other Drug Peer worker to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team to provide peer specific, peer support interventions to people 18 years and older. The Peer workers will draw on their own lived experience, personal knowledge and skills gained from overcoming the impacts of drug and/ or alcohol addiction to provide support and coaching to young people both individually and in a group context.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Act as a positive role model by drawing on lived experience to assist consumers
- Assist consumers to determine their needs and the vulnerabilities that they experience
- Utilise lived experience to support people with engagement, intake and assessment and group activities.
- Provide a consumers perspective in planning and delivering programs and services
- Utilise good self-care and demonstrate great insight and awareness
- Deliver harm minimisation support, brief interventions and screens
- Actively engage in team, lived expertise and professional supervision
- Contribute to the practical improvement and assessment of group programs under the direction of senior staff
- Develop sustainable internal relationships with clients and other employees including the ability to resolve conflict to contribute to the effective functioning of the service
Requirements for Success
- Relevant Degree or minimum Certificate IV in Peer Work or Alcohol and Other Drugs or a willingness to work towards
- Lived personal experience of overcoming alcohol and other drug adversity and ability to use this to positively support others on their recovery journey
- Skills in liaising, negotiating and advocating for the people we work with
- Demonstrated understanding of the consumer movement and able to effectively challenge assumptions and promote recovery oriented principles
- Developed facilitation and coaching skills to support groups for individuals, staff and families
- Demonstrated professional approach to the role including maintaining professional boundaries
- Current Drivers License
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people and child-safe certificate.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks.
Our innovative and inclusive culture will ensure you feel valued at Mission Australia as you help Australians in need and develop in your career.
We’re committed to the safety and wellbeing of each other and the people we serve.
We recognise and respect diversity. So, whoever you are, if you’re skilled and actively support our purpose and values, you would be welcome at Mission Australia.
Find out more about a career with Mission Australia.
If you need support to submit your application, please email [email protected].
- Rewarding work – every day you know you’re making a real difference
- Not-for-profit salary packaging, reducing your tax (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with health insurance and major retailers
- Free external, confidential counselling and access to chaplaincy support.
How to apply
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘Apply for this job’ and send your cover letter and resume today. As a committed Circle Back Initiative employer, we will respond to your application.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via AOD Peer Worker Partners Toward Wellbeing May 21- SA.pdf
For further information regarding working with us, visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications will be shortlisted as they are received. Please apply as soon as possible to be considered. Thank you.