Associate Genetic Counsellor
- 0.6 EFT fixed term until end January 2024
- Royal Park Campus
- Opportunity for a Genetic Counsellor or Associate Genetic Counsellor
The Parkville Familial Cancer Centre and Genomic Medicine Department is a comprehensive genetic service which provides diagnosis, counselling, and support to adults with a variety of genetic disorders.
We provide multidisciplinary clinics for diagnosis, risk assessment and risk management, with a team of clinical geneticists, genetic counsellors, and genetic nurses, as well as committed specialists in medical and surgical disciplines appropriate to support that clinic.
Your new role:
This role is an exciting opportunity for a Genetic Counsellor or Associate Genetic Counsellor to join or increase hours at the combined Parkville Familial Cancer Centre and Adult Genetics department. The appointee will provide genetic counselling to families in Familial cancer clinics and adult genetics clinics at The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Box Hill Hospital, Sunshine Hospital, and regional centres (Bendigo, Geelong, Warrnambool, Mildura). A minimum of MHGSA board eligibility, excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated capacity to work as part of a multidisciplinary team are required. Previous experience working in a Clinical Genetics service is essential.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Working in conjunction with other team members, including genetic counsellors, genetic nurses, geneticists, intake assistants, discipline specific clinical staff, data managers, administrative staff and laboratory staff
- Interpreting and explaining the results of genetic analysis
- Appropriate follow-up and support of patients and their families as appropriate (including ensuring that file reviews are done in a timely fashion)
- Process and manage new referrals, clinical follow up and files reviews within set Key Performance Indicators
- Gather family history information and set cancer verification plan by telephone
- Participate in the collection of medical, genetic, family history information as necessary
- Documentation of patient contact and details in appropriate database and medical records
- Ensuring that letters are written and sent to patients and their doctors in a timely fashion
- Contribute to department education and research programs
- Board Eligibility in Genetic Counselling (MHGSA status)
- An understanding of the current genetic and psychosocial issues relating to adult genetics and familial cancer
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent time management skills with focus on attention to detail
- Demonstrate competency in managing complex work load with high level of accuracy
- Active involvement in quality assurance and risk management activities
- Previous clinical genetic counselling experience
- Previous experience working in a clinical genetics service
Benefit of working with The Royal Melbourne Hospital:
- You will work in a large tertiary service upholding the RMH values of people first, leading with kindness, and excellence together
- You will be able to work in a variety of genetics subspecialties (depending on experience level)
- You will be offered generous salary packaging
The RMH is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for our staff and our community. Our goal is for our people to feel safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best every single day. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies, and will consider adjustments to support such applications.
If you are looking for a challenging role and can demonstrate the above capabilities, connect with us.
For a confidential discussion please connect via the details below.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Record Check. All RMH employees are required to provide evidence of an immunisation assessment including evidence of vaccination against COVID-19 (3 doses) prior to commencement. This is in accordance with the Victorian Minister of Health’s Mandatory Vaccination Orders for COVID-19.
Don’t delay, apply now! – recruitment is ongoing, with interviews commencing as soon as suitable candidates are received.
Advertising may cease prior to the closing date.