UnitingCare’s Family Support Services are currently seeking a Child and Adolescent Youth Counsellor to join their team based in Cairns on a part time basis of 4 days per week (60.8 hours per fortnight).
This position provides therapeutic support to young people and their families. The Counsellors provide office based and where required outreach appointments. By providing counselling, emotional and practical support, young people and their families are offered opportunities to make informed decisions about positive and sustainable changes for their future.
Duties of the position include but are no limited to:
- Preparing written and oral case notes;
- Advocate for clients;
- Provide effective group support/education programs to deal with a range of issues relating to separation and divorce, and on-going parenting of children, domestic and family violence, sexual abuse, child abuse, relationship discord and grief and loss.
- Develop and deliver tailored education/change behaviour activities with a focus on empowerment and resilience building by providing strategies and awareness of current needs and issues which facilitates early intervention outcomes where required.
- Undertake counselling services across a range of settings such as schools and community centre where required.
- Participate in supervision and work towards professional growth and development of self and team support.
- Work within the policies and procedures of UCQ and the provisions of the Workplace Health and Safety Act; The Child Protection Act 1999; the Child Protection Act Regulation 2000 and any other relevant Legislation.
What you’ll need:
The successful candidate will present with the following:
- Possession of a degree in Counselling, Psychology, Social Work, Human Services or Behavioural Science from a recognised tertiary institution.
- Suitability Cared for Child Related Employment (Blue Card) – All adults who work with people under 18 years in QLD are required to undergo a “Working with Children Check” under the screening provisions of the Commission for Children and Young People Act (2000). – Presentation of a current Suitability Card must be made before your appointment to the position can be confirmed.
- Drivers licence C Class
- Some local travel is required, offsite client contact and some intrastate travel required at times for training purposes
Please Note: To ensure the health and safety of our people, and the clients, residents, patients and people we serve at Uniting Care Queensland, all staff are required to comply with statutory and Government requirements, such as public health directions, and Uniting Care’s vaccination policy requirements, with respect to COVID-19 vaccinations. The successful applicant must be able to meet Uniting Care’s mandate of receiving all recommended doses of approved Covid-19 vaccines (including boosters) approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration and the provision of Covid-19 Certificate before commencing employment.
Supporting you to support others
Family and Disability Services is a respected industry leader and one of Queensland’s largest community service providers, with a wide range of services that provide support to vulnerable individuals, families and communities in metropolitan, regional and remote locations across the State. We’re proudly not-for-profit and offer you:
- Access to salary packaging & meal and entertainment benefits
- Flexible work arrangements to support work-life balance
- Employee assistance, health & wellness programs
- Values-based culture & rewards and recognition
- Ongoing learning & development
Ready to work together?
Our application process takes less than 15 minutes – Click the ‘APPLY’ button below to be taken to our online application process and upload your resume and cover letter.
Our team are available to answer any questions you may have. We’ll do our best to get back to you 2 weeks from the closing date.
We are proud of our team’s diversity and highly encourage applications from people with a disability and those who identify as a part of the Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Community.
We work hard to make our services welcoming and safe for every person. We are united in keeping children, young people and the elderly safe from harm, within our services, workplaces and the communities we support. We are committed to speaking up loudly for their safety