Child and Adolescent Youth Counsellor
- Employment Term: Permanent part-time (53.20 hours over 7 days per fortnight)
- Location: Cairns
- Remuneration: $93,865 (pro rata) + 11% Super + Not for Profit Salary Packaging + Penalties & Allowances
Make a meaningful difference with UnitingCare Community
We’re looking for someone who wants to make the world a little better through small moments that leave big impacts. To build meaningful relationships and make a difference in the lives of others.
An integral part of our Family and Child Services team, as a Child and Adolescent Youth Counsellor, you’ll be encouraged to grow, develop and feel empowered to make the everyday easier for the people we care so passionately about.
Let’s make a meaningful difference, together.
Your part in our UnitingCare Community team
Uniting Care’s Family Support Services are currently seeking a Child and Adolescent Youth Counsellor to join their team based in Cairns on a part time basis of 7 days per fortnight.
This position provides therapeutic support to young people and their families. The Counsellors provide office based and where required outreach appointments. By providing counselling, emotional and practical support, young people and their families are offered opportunities to make informed decisions about positive and sustainable changes for their future.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Preparing written and oral case notes;
- Advocate for clients;
- Provide effective group support/education programs to deal with a range of issues relating to separation and divorce, and on-going parenting of children, domestic and family violence, sexual abuse, child abuse, relationship discord and grief and loss.
- Develop and deliver tailored education/change behaviour activities with a focus on empowerment and resilience building by providing strategies and awareness of current needs and issues which facilitates early intervention outcomes where required.
- Undertake counselling services across a range of settings such as schools and community centre where required.
- Participate in supervision and work towards professional growth and development of self and team support.
- Work within the policies and procedures of UCQ and the provisions of the Workplace Health and Safety Act; The Child Protection Act 1999; the Child Protection Act Regulation 2000 and any other relevant Legislation.
What makes a difference for us?
The successful candidate will present with the following:
- Possession of a degree in Counselling, Psychology, Social Work, Human Services or Behavioural Science from a recognised tertiary institution.
- Suitability Cared for Child Related Employment (Blue Card) – All adults who work with people under 18 years in QLD are required to undergo a “Working with Children Check” under the screening provisions of the Commission for Children and Young People Act (2000). – Presentation of a current Suitability Card must be made before your appointment to the position can be confirmed.
- Drivers licence C Class
- Some local travel is required, offsite client contact and some interstate travel required at times for training purposes
What makes a difference for you?
At UnitingCare we are leaders in crisis response, the protection of vulnerable children, financial resilience and family wellbeing. Our Family and Child Services team work passionately across Queensland to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
- Flexible work arrangements to support work-life balance
- Save tax and increase your take home pay by salary packaging your everyday living expenses and bills (up to $15,900) and meal entertainment (up to $2,650) per annum
- A recognition and rewards platform, providing employee discounts at hundreds of retailers, including everyday expenses, holidays, health insurance, annual awards celebration, wellbeing and employee assistance programs
- A positive and inclusive team based on respect, shared standards, strong values and a commitment to serving others
- 12 weeks paid parental leave and 2 weeks paid partner leave, available after 6 months service, in addition to the government scheme
- Diversity and inclusive leave, offering paid gender affirmation leave and cultural leave options (paid and unpaid) for those who may celebrate Lunar New Year, Diwali, Ramadan, NAIDOC weeks and other significant cultural events
- Career development opportunities to challenge yourself, grow and make a meaningful difference
We’d love you to be part of our UnitingCare family
Our Family and Child Services team are passionate about their work with parents to ensure children remain safe in the home and parents have the skills, resilience and capability to effectively parent and meet their children’s developmental, educational, health and well-being needs. We also provide targeted services to men who are seeking to change their behaviour.
Child safe, Child friendly
UnitingCare is committed to being a Child Safe, Child Friendly organisation and will:
- provide welcoming, safe and nurturing services for children
- implement measures to prevent child abuse and neglect within our services
- appropriately and immediately address child abuse and neglect if it does occur
Diversity & Inclusion
Our approach is simple – everybody is welcome here. At UnitingCare, diversity is at the core of our who we are, our mission and our values. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees no matter their sex, race, culture, sexual orientation, disability or gender identity. Demonstrating our commitment to reconciliation and building long-term employment opportunities for First Nations peoples, UnitingCare strongly encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants for this position.
We work hard to make our services welcoming and safe for every person. We are united in keeping children, young people and the elderly safe from harm, within our services, workplaces and the communities we support. We are committed to speaking up loudly for their safety.
All employees are required to comply with statutory and Government requirements and UnitingCare’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements policy. The successful applicant must be able to provide a Covid-19 Certificate before commencing employment.