- Casual positions
- Flexible Work Hours – weekday, evening and weekend work options available (range of hours offered for casual staff to have sufficient work they may deem as their primary employment, or alternatively less hours to accommodate other employment, studies, or preferred work/life balance)
- Not for profit organisation
- Based in Lake Macquarie
Great opportunity to join our Family Work Team working in our Children’s Contact Service known as ‘Family Time’. We’re keen to hear from suitably equipped people interested in applying their newly acquired or long held skills, qualifications, competencies and experience relevant to working with children and families.
Contact Workers are responsible for providing supervised support to children/young people to maintain contact with their family where separation has occurred. This relates specifically to where separation has occurred due to placement in ‘Out of Home Care’ or via ‘Family Court Order’.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to: –
- Personally, facilitate supervised support services in one or more of the following service areas (subject to your skills, experience, and preference) at various appropriate indoor/outdoor locations: –
- Supervised contact visits
- Supervised transport
- Supervised daytime respite
- Maintaining a safe environment for the child/young person whilst receiving our services;
- Observing interactions between child/young person and family members;
- Identifying and supporting the physical, emotional and relational needs of the child/young person during the contact session;
- Supporting parents/family members to identify and respond appropriately to their child’s/young person’s needs, emotions and behaviour through role modelling;
- Assist the child/young person to connect with family member/s and to develop, build and maintain a positive relationship;
- Compile case notes and reports as required.
About You – Selection Criteria
- Minimum of Certificate III in Community Services or Children Services or related field plus child-related training to demonstrate capability to perform the role and/or demonstrate appropriate current relevant experience working with children/young people and their families;
- Possess current Working with Children Check;
- Possess current First Aid Certificate;
- Possess National Police Check clearance to perform role;
- Possess COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate;
- Hold a current driver’s licence and access to a reliable, comprehensively insured vehicle;
- Willingness to work flexible hours including weekdays. evenings, and weekends (subject to your availability);
- Possess sound computer skills and experience in using Microsoft suite of applications (e.g.; WORD);
- Possess good interpersonal communication skills
- Possess skills required to write quality case notes, reports and other forms of written communication (where required);
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and commitment to confidentiality, Child Protection, and WH&S legislation.
- Knowledge and understanding of the developmental needs of children and young people;
- Knowledge and understanding of the impact of family violence, abuse, family separation, drug and alcohol misuse and conflict on children and young people;
- Previous experience working with children / young people and their families
- Understanding of Trauma Informed Practise Framework;
- Skills in conflict resolution.
About The Canopy
The Canopy is a non-profit organisation providing support services to children, families and the community. The Canopy has a reputation as a great place to work with an inclusive and supportive Organisational culture for its staff and volunteers.
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010.
Interested and meet the selection criteria then we would like to hear from you. To obtain further information or to obtain the Position Description, please contact Lisa Standen, Finance and Administration Manager, The Canopy on 4908 1140 or email [email protected]
To be considered for this position you must submit a written application addressing the essential and desirable selection criteria plus a cover letter and current resume. Submit to Lisa Standen at [email protected]
Applications will close 14th August 2022.