Counsellor/ Community Support Manager
Southern Aboriginal Corporation Family Violence Prevention Legal Service
Full Time – Perth – 73 Hours Per Fortnight (Part Time Applications Considered)
Southern Aboriginal Corporation provides free, culturally safe, client-centred and trauma informed legal assistance and non-legal support services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victims of family violence and sexual assault across three regions in Western Australia.
Southern Aboriginal Corporation, in partnership with Aboriginal Family Legal Service, is bringing our specialist Family Violence Prevention Legal Services to the Perth Metropolitan Area from 1 July 2022.
We are seeking a full time Counsellor/ Community Support Manager to join the new Metropolitan Family Violence Prevention Legal Service team in Perth.
The Counsellor will perform a critical role providing professional counselling services to support the psychological and emotional wellbeing of clients engaged in family violence, care and protection, criminal injuries, and family law related matters.
The Counsellor will support the day to day operations of the metropolitan office, providing support to the non-legal team (one full time and two part time community support workers). The Counsellor/ Community Support Manager be an employee of and managed by Southern Aboriginal Corporation and will work alongside the legal team of Aboriginal Family Legal Services, as part of the joint delivery of the Metropolitan Family Violence Prevention Legal Service Program.
Southern Aboriginal Corporation strongly encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply for this position.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU NEED TO MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Diploma of Counselling.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a counsellor, with demonstrated experience dealing one-on-one with clients, particularly Aboriginal clients.
- Experience and knowledge of trauma informed practice and therapeutic counselling approaches.
- Understanding and awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples cultures, histories, and issues.
- Understanding of Aboriginal family violence, domestic violence, and sexual assault.
- Ability to interact with Aboriginal people in the Perth Metropolitan Area by way of working with clients in relation to family violence and sexual assault.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Sound computer skills, including prior use of Microsoft Office 365 and SharePoint.
- Capacity to support the non-legal team in the planning and delivery of community engagement and advocacy services.
- Experience working for a not-for-profit and/or Aboriginal organisation.
Applications should include a Cover letter addressing the Selection Criteria and a Resume including names of two (2) referees. Please send your application to [email protected] before COB 11th September 2023.
Please note that a current valid Driving Licence, a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check will be required.
For the right candidate we offer a very attractive salary package with generous entitlements.
Please note that only those successful to interview will be contacted.
Interviews will commence prior to the closing date and Southern Aboriginal Corporation Reserve the right to close the job early in the event a suitable applicant is found.