About On the Line
On the Line Australia is a 24/7 national charitable provider of suicide prevention, mental health and counselling services. We provide free professional support and help for people to navigate Australia’s complex service systems.
We specialise in remote service provision, having pioneered the use of technology to reach people in need since 1960. On the Line Australia delivers some of Australia’s most vital free helpline services, including MensLine Australia, Suicide Call Back Service, and SuicideLine Victoria.
Immediate start is available.
About the role
Successful candidates will need to be:
- To work in overnight shifts
- Enthusiastic, have high adaptability to change, is open to constructive feedback and have established self-care practices
- Confident with technology and able to work with phone and live chat-based counselling
- Understand this is a 6-month contract with the opportunity to extend or be made permanent
To support consumers by providing professional, specialist telephone and digital counselling, and providing information and referrals to consumers of On the Line Australia services. The role will contribute into the following key areas (but not limited to):
- Provide professional counselling to consumers of On the Line Australia’s services
- Provide relevant and appropriate referrals and information to consumers
- Engage and support consumers by making assessments, working with the consumer and communicating options for ongoing support, and equipping callers to support a person they are concerned about
- Identifying consumers or third parties at high risk, consulting with the Clinical Manager as required
- Collection of consumer demographic data
- Undertake professional development
- Contribute to a positive high performing culture
What you bring to the role
- Tertiary degree (of minimum three-year duration) in relevant discipline (Social Work, Welfare Studies, Psychology, Nursing or Counselling).
- Minimum of three months’ counselling experience (equivalent to 456 hours), demonstrating the ability to work in a strengths-based, brief solution-focused framework.
- A high level of resilience to work in an environment that is exposed to high-risk calls that could include consumers demonstrating the following presentations of suicide, domestic/family violence, anxiety, depression.
- Ability to work in a high-performing culture, including ability to demonstrate a high level of counselling within a set framework and KPIs.
- An enthusiastic and positive nature that can work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Awareness of self and engage in good self-care practices.
- Commitment to professional development and openness to feedback and coaching.
- High level of computer literacy with the ability to pick up new programs and systems quickly.
- Current Working with Children Check (or willing to apply for one prior to commencement).
- Current Police Check (no more than 6 months old) (or willing to apply for one prior to commencement).
Working at Home Requirements
As this is a digital-based telephone and chat service, there are minimum setup requirements for you to adequately perform in this role when working at home, including:
- A safe and quiet workspace
- Stable and good quality internet connection
- You have strong IT skills and proficiency in telephony-based systems where you are comfortable navigating software, typing and talking at the same time
Salary and benefits
- Level 1 (On the Line Agreement 2016) $47.50 base rate (plus superannuation) + penalty rates
- 5 weeks annual leave with annual leave loading (pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Access to clinical supervision, debriefing and EAP
- Working from home
- Salary Packaging options
Please find as position description via this link
We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and welcome applications from everyone irrespective of cultural or linguistic background, sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status, religion or spiritual beliefs, socio-economic status, age, or abilities and groups currently under-represented across the organisation.
The job advertisement may close earlier if suitable candidate is found.