About TAFE Queensland
TAFE Queensland is proud to be the largest and most experienced Vocational Education and Training provider in the State. For more than 140 years, TAFE Queensland has delivered practical and industry-relevant training to provide students with the skills and experience they need to build lifelong careers. We have recently been named the State Winner of the 2021 Large Training Provider of the Year at the prestigious Queensland Training Awards. Our training is delivered to students and apprentices on-site, online, in the workplace, or on-campus to give people the skills they need to enrich their communities, support their industries, and strengthen their local economies.
By working at TAFE Queensland, you can be part of a highly experienced workforce closely connected with their industries and dedicated to delivering best practices and innovative training.
As a key member of the Student Support Team, the Counsellor will provide confidential short-term counselling services to current students to them in overcoming barriers to the successful participation and progress in educational activities. Provide a consultative service to educational staff in relation to student conduct/behaviour.
This position reports to the Manager, Student Support
This is a Temporary, Full-Time opportunity, to 13 Janunary 2023 unless otherwise determined.
The position will be based primarily at Southport however you may be required to perform work at other TAFE Queensland campuses.
- Provide counselling support to students experiencing psychological, emotional and/or financial distress affecting their performance and progress at the organisation.
- Available to assess and provide advice to management on possible responses and referrals to critical incidents.
- Provide study guidance to existing and prospective students promoting TAFE Queensland courses and pathways for students.
- Provide support, and consultancy to teaching/administrative staff in relation to behavioural management of students, including assisting and organising skill development programs for small groups of students with concerns or special needs around study skills, time management, motivation, stress management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Provide assistance to students with special needs (e.g. students with disabilities, migrant students, overseas students, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students).
- Participate as required in Open Days, Expos and other external activities which promote TAFE Queensland.
- Participate in relevant professional development, peer and one to one supervision ensuring a consistently high standard of best practice within professional boundaries and legislation requirements.
- Maintain up to date records of service provisions and provide accurate and concise monthly reports.
- Assist in the constructive resolution of student concerns, complaints and/or grievance through proactive intervention on behalf of the organisation.
- Contribute to the success of transformation and cultural change through promoting and modelling the established values of Safety First, Working Together, Focusing on our Customer, Taking Responsibility and Showing Initiative.
- Live a safety culture, lead by example and support Workplace Health and Safety to create a TAFE Queensland safety culture.
How you will be assessed
The ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key capabilities:
- A proven track record in the delivery of student support services including effectively identifying risks, researching and analysing issues to determine credible actions and solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to meet business objectives and maintain current knowledge of student support practices, systems and processes within the disciplines of Behavioural Science.
- Proven experience in building and sustaining productive internal and external key stakeholder relationships, and working collaboratively to foster a positive and cohesive work environment in a multi campus environment.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team while remaining flexible and adaptable with the ability to organise and prioritise own workload and apply well developed organisational skills to tasks or projects.
- High level of communication and client service skills to work collaboratively with stakeholders and colleagues to achieve outstanding client service.
- Possession of a degree in Educational Psychology, Psychology or Social Work or other degree qualification(s) from a recognised tertiary institution
How to apply
If you’re interested in this role, click the ‘Apply’ button to submit your application via the TAFE Queensland Recruitment Portal. When submitting your application, please ensure you provide the following:
- A detailed resume;
- A cover letter that outlines your know skills, abilities, knowledge and experience in response to the “How you will be assessed” criteria above (maximum of 2 pages in total; and
- The contact details for two referees (one of whom is your current supervisor)
Closing date: 5:00pm 30 June, 2022
Job Reference Number: TQ2022-377
For further information, please contact:
Jude Vickerman, Manager, Student Support