Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
Position Classification: Diversional Therapist Level 1
Remuneration: $67,442 – $79,397 per annum, plus superannuation
Hours Per Week: 38
Requisition ID: REQ403084
Are you a Diversional Therapist experienced in Mental Health? Come join our dynamic Inpatient Mental Health team which provides quality services to our client population helping to improve recovery and rehabilitation, developing and delivering a group activity programs within our inpatient Mental Health Rehabilitation Unit.
Where you’ll be working
Mental Health Acute Rehabilitation Unit, Sutherland Mental Health Service, located on The Sutherland Hospital campus, Caringbah and Garrawarra Mental Health Cottages
What you’ll be doing
The vision for South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (SESLHD) is ‘exceptional care, healthier lives’. SESLHD is committed to enabling our community to be healthy and well, and to providing the best possible compassionate care when people need it.
The Diversional Therapist (DT) for the Mental Health Rehabilitation Unit (MHRU) is responsible for the coordination, implementation and evaluation of a therapeutic group program of diversional and recreational activities for clients in the MHRU. They will design and implement individualised programs for clients of MHRU and work as part of the multidisciplinary team to implement therapeutic programs. The DT will initiate quality improvement activities aimed at service development. Responsible to: Inpatient Services Manager via the NUM2 Rehabilitation Unit. For issues of a professional nature, the Sector professional head for Occupational Therapy will be available in consultation with the NUM
- Develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate a program of diversional/recreational activities for consumer’s in the MHRU
- Provide documented evidence of staff and consumer consultation and collaboration in the development and evaluation of the program including qualitative/quantitative data outcomes
- Effectively identify consumer’s needs through appropriate assessment and consultation incorporating consumer’s ideas/feedback when planning services and adapting programs to suit individual needs. Provide individualised diversional/recreational programs for consumers
- Provide all diversional/recreational activities in a safe manner adhering to WHS Policy and Procedures being aware of self, staff, patient and visitor safety at all times
- Systematically uses risk assessment tools and processes to inform practice in consultation with other staff
- Demonstrated capacity as a competent independent clinician and to work with minimal supervision and capacity to exercise independent professional judgement on routine matters as well as complex tasks specific to their discipline
- Adhere to MHRU safety policy and procedures in accordance with Hospital, SESLHD and State WHS Policy and legislation and maintain a clean and orderly environment in consultation with relevant staff
- Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural, age and language needs of consumers
- Work collaboratively with families and carers, and provide information and education as appropriate and effectively plans for discharge and future care planning with the treating team, consumer and family
- Demonstrate competency in understanding and working with legal issues and the Mental Health Act and work within the legal guidelines of the Act
- Act as a resource clinician for speciality area and attend ward rounds, ward meetings and patient care meetings as required
- Demonstrate effective consultation and collaboration with nursing, medical and allied health staff members in order to coordinate consumer services and ensure quality patient care
- Practices in accordance with Hospital and Divisional Policy at all times and reports all accidents and incidents in a prompt and correct manner according to Hospital policy
Employment of a temporary visa holder may only occur if no suitable permanent resident or citizen of Australia has been identified for this position following suitable labour market testing.
All NSW Health workers are required to have completed a primary course of a COVID-19 vaccine which has been approved or recognised by the Therapeutics Goods Administration (TGA). Additionally, Category A workers are required to receive a booster dose three months after completing the primary course of COVID-19 vaccinations. New applicants must have completed the vaccination course prior to commencement with NSW Health, or provide an approved medical contraindication certificate (IM011 immunisation medical exemption form) certifying the worker cannot have any approved COVID-19 vaccines available in NSW.
Acceptable proof of vaccination is the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) Immunisation History Statement or AIR COVID-19 Digital Certificate. Booster doses are highly recommended for all health care workers who have completed the primary course of COVID-19 vaccinations.
SESLHD is committed to creating a workplace that reflects the diversity of our community. This will help ensure our employees, our patients and their carers, feel supported. We encourage people from different backgrounds to apply.
Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Candidates
We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates and we have an Aboriginal Employment Consultant that can provide support. If you have any questions or would like guidance on the recruitment process, please contact the SESLHD Aboriginal Employment Team via email to: [email protected]
- Recognised Diversional Therapy qualification – Leisure and Health Degree and eligibility for membership of the Diversional Therapy Association Australia.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop, coordinate and evaluate Diversional Therapy programs in a health care setting and sensitivity to the needs of consumers with a mental illness.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of mental health issues and their impact on patients in an acute or rehabilitation inpatient setting.
- Ability to work autonomously within a multidisciplinary team context
- Current NSW Class C drivers licence.
- Demonstrated understanding of recovery principle and a recovery focused model of care.
- Demonstrated computer literacy.
Need more information?
1) Click here for the Position Description and SESLHD Expected Standards
2) Find out more about applying for this position
For role related queries or questions contact Candice Fogarty on [email protected]
Applications Close: 13 August 2023