Fixed Term Contract until June 30 2023
Sutherland Shire Family Services, trading as The Family Co. is a not-for-profit organisation which aims to support and strengthen the capacity of families within our community by providing programs and services designed to contribute to the promotion and maintenance of safety and well-being amongst all family members.
The Family Co. provides auspice for SSWDVCAS and is the Court Advocacy Service for Sutherland Shire and St. George regions in Sydney our Southern Sydney Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service provides information, advocacy and referrals for women and families attending Sutherland Court for Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders.
The Domestic and Family Violence (DFV) Specialist Worker provides support to women who are experiencing Domestic and Family Violence, including assessments, referrals, safety planning and court support.
Responsibilities of this Role:
The work of the DFV Specialist Worker includes, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Accepting referrals
- Contacting clients, completing a threat assessment and safety planning
- Liaising with team members in regards to clients referred to the Safety Action Meeting (SAM)
- Providing relevant information and making warm referrals to a range of service providers to assist clients with their ongoing needs;
- Liaising with clients in relation to Safety Action Plans developed at SAMs and/or support provided, or arranged, by the WDVCASs;
- Attending court on AVO list days and other days to support clients;
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with key WDVCAS partners
- Complying with policies and procedures
- Participating in activities to promote the services of the WDVCAS
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the criminal justice response to domestic and family violence including AVO applications and criminal prosecutions and related legal matters such as family law, care and protection, migration and victim’s compensation issues;
- Ability to deliver services in accordance with the WDVCAP best practice model of service delivery outlined in the WDVCAP Service Agreement, this Policy and Procedure Manual, the SAM Manual and operational documents;
- Ability to work with the local community to promote awareness of domestic and family violence and WDVCAS services;
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in negotiation, advocacy and conflict resolution;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with clients in crisis and provide appropriate, trauma-informed support;
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills; and
- Current Working with Children and NSW Police checks.
The successful applicant will benefit from working for a supportive organisation. Remuneration will be SCHADS award level 5.1, with excellent ongoing professional development opportunities and availability of salary sacrifice options.
To be eligible to apply Sutherland Shire Family Services considers being a woman is a genuine occupational qualification for this position under s.31 of the Anti-Discrimination Act. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or on a visa with appropriate work rights.
To apply for this position you need to:
- Provide a written response addressing the Selection Criteria and Current Resume.
- Send applications to Michelle Fairweather, Operations Manager at [email protected] by 9am Wednesday 20th July.
If you have any questions regarding the role, please contact Michelle on 9528 2933.