About Active Ability’s team
The Active Ability team are experts in mobile disability therapy. We provide physiotherapy, dietetic and exercise physiology services and specialise in supporting people with neurological conditions, intellectual disability and mental illness.
Our purpose is to empower the disability community and our core values are:
- Compassion – for all. The willingness & empathy to help others
- Integrity – to do the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is watching.
- Dedication – to meet our promises, to achieve goals. We are a helpful resource.
- We are people-focused – put people firs. Respect, value & empower them.
Our 10-year target is to empower 10,000 people within the disability community.
Our experience and knowledge meet a personalised, caring approach to our client’s therapy needs, to help them get the most from their NDIS plan. As registered NDIS providers, we offer mobile therapy services throughout Sydney, Wollongong and the Sunshine Coast.
We are so proud to have won ‘Most Outstanding Allied Health Organisation’ at the 2021 Australian Disability Service Awards and 2022 ESSA Practice of the Year.
Active Ability are committed to providing the highest standards of care. Our highly qualified, expert and caring team will consider what our clients want to achieve from their NDIS therapeutic supports. We then assist them to accomplish their therapy goals by providing a tailored treatment plan. We use a best practice, evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach to help our clients achieve their goals.
Active Ability is a young and enthusiastic team with big ambitions. We pride ourselves on the quality of our relationships with the wider community and the quality of our interventions and support of our clients. We are looking for an exercise physiologist who would like to supplement their income through a contractor position. This new team member will be aligned with our core values and excited to empower the disability community.
Check us out here: www.activeability.com.au
About the Exercise Physiology role
** Please get your application in asap – we hope to hold interviews immediately.
We have a community-based contractor position we are looking to fill – the caseload is part time but will be built quickly if this interests you. The successful applicant will be available to provide mobile exercise physiology services on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.
Please reach out if this position interests you, even if the location does not. If you would prefer an employee role at Active Ability rather than a contractor role, please also apply and let us know.
What can Active Ability offer a contractor exercise physiologist?
- Become an expert in disability – disability is our team’s core focus and each of our team members have their own expertise.
- An incredibly rewarding role – you will be a valued and important part of your client’s life. You will build relationships with your clients and their stakeholders, and you will be rewarded when seeing them achieve their goals.
- The opportunity to manage a complex case load – your knowledge and skills will be challenged every day to support your clients safely and effectively to achieve their goals because of the barriers they unfortunately face due to their health, function and disability. Spinal Cord Injury, Parkinson’s Disease, Motor Neuron Disease, Huntington’s Disease, Cerebral Palsy and other rare neurological disorders. Intellectual disability (Prader Willi Syndrome, Fragile-X, Down Syndrome) & complex mental illness (BPD, Schizophrenia, PTSD).
- A changing client base – because we are a capacity building service, you will see significant variety day-to-day and week-to-week in your caseload (not to mention, our clients age from 2 years to 65 years old!). The fact that we are a capacity building service means that we see client’s only as much as necessary and then discharge – there are no maintenance services here!
- An amazing team of like-minded clinicians – Join an amazing team culture, full of passion, drive and fun. We all have the same purpose and core values that we work by – to empower the disability community by changing 10,000 lives in the next 10 years.
- The opportunity to engage in multidisciplinary collaboration– collaboration is crucial to the success of your intervention in disability – meet regularly with behaviour support therapists, speech therapists, OTs, support workers, support coordinators, GPs, dietitians and physiotherapists. Expect a flexible work environment – we spend more time at work than anywhere else, so you need to love what you do and you need to work in a fabulous team that values your contribution. Work from home, manage your own diary (attend personal appointments if you need), work independently but seek support and assistance from management when you need it.
Your responsibilities will include:
- The successful applicant will provide mobile exercise physiology services to Active Ability’s clients in Sydney.
- Assess and treat clients in their own home, to carry out rehabilitation programs to improve functional independence and quality of life
- Provide face to face and occasional tele-support to clients in community settings. Specifically, hydrotherapy, land-based, in the home or in the community, group homes, day programs
- Providing exercise & behaviour change advice to clients living with disability or chronic/complex conditions
- Provide appropriately targeted education for clients, carers and staff as required
- Ensure appropriate written and verbal communication with key stakeholders as required including timely reports and exercise plans
- Communicate and work efficiently and collaboratively with the team to ensure best practice & integrated client care
Skills and experience
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Empathy and patience for your clients and a passion for supporting people with disability
- Accreditation with Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA)
- SIRA Workers Compensation Approval Number (or willingness to obtain)
- Demonstrated ability as an independent worker who can exercise independent professional judgement on routine matters as well as working in a multi-disciplinary team for coordinated care.
- Demonstrated high-level skills in the development of physiotherapy supports for a wide range of novel and complex conditions
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills
- Strong administrative and computer skills
- NDIS Worker Check, National Police Check, Working With Children Check, valid drivers licence and vehicle
- A problem solver with a can-do attitude
- Experience working or volunteering within the disability community.