Family Life – Transforming lives for stronger communities
- Work locally in the Bayside Area and make a difference within the Community
- Enjoy the benefits of flexible work through our Hybrid Working Model
- Full-time permanent opportunity
- Level 6 SCHADS Award $102,554.40 + Generous Salary Packaging + Super
- Frankston/Sandringham/Pakenham with some travel to other sites
Work with us at Family Life and be part of our supportive, people-focused culture.
Who we are
At Family Life, we believe every child deserves to thrive in a safe and healthy family environment. Family Life is a specialist family services provider that has worked with children, families and communities for more than 50 years. Our vision is to work with clients and partners to create capable communities, strong families and thriving children.
We are known for our innovation and whole-of-community collective impact approach. Our teams are committed to transforming the lives of our clients and communities to build resilience and healthy relationships. We are proudly purpose-driven, independent and not for profit. We support our community through our specialist family services, community strengthening programs, a network of op shops, a vibrant engaged volunteer community and passionate skilled staff.
We are seeking an experienced Practitioner to fill the role of Family Connections Specialist Practitioner to provide trauma-informed, evidence-based support to separated families to effectively manage their parenting arrangements and understand the impact of conflict on their children. This full-time permanent role will be based at multiple sites including Frankston, Sandringham and Pakenham with some travel to other sites.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Conduct professional intake and assessments, ongoing service provision and counselling with separated families pertaining to their court directed orders.
- Conduct on-going risk assessments and develop safety plans where appropriate.
- Facilitate parenting groups for separated parents, including coordinating entry of participants into the program.
- Support supervised visits with children and their families.
- Maintain professional documentation and administrative systems according to program and legislative requirements, including planning and documentation of group and education programs.
- Remain abreast of professional trends and literature relevant to family transitions and service intervention and support strategies.
Our Ideal Candidate
You are Bachelor qualified in Social Work, Family Therapy or Psychology and eligible for membership with AASW, AAFT, APS or PACFA associations. You are trauma-informed and have experience with separation, family law, mental health, sexual abuse, alcohol and other drugs and family violence issues. You are experienced in counselling children and families and you have a strong working knowledge in identifying the developmental and therapeutic needs of children who have experienced trauma, abuse and neglect. You have the ability to respond to challenging behaviours and understanding of the origins of these behaviours when working with children including trauma and attachment. You are also experienced in working with parents (individually and in small groups) who have experienced high levels of conflict.
A day in the life of this position includes:
- conducting professional intake assessments
- conducting on-going risk assessments and developing safety plans where appropriate
- providing specialised counselling
- facilitating enhanced supervised contact visits
- running psychoeducational groups for parents and children where there are Court Orders in place.
Working at Family Life is more than just a job, it’s the feeling of knowing that your work is contributing to making the community in which you live a better place and working with others who feel the same way.
Additionally, you will have access to:
- Flexible Work Culture through our Hybrid Working Model
- Salary packaging (receive up to an extra $18,500 in tax-free pay per year)
- Paid Wellbeing Leave
- Paid Study Leave
- Additional Paid Leave for End of Year Closedown
- Purchased Annual Leave Scheme
- Rostered Day Off Scheme for Eligible Employees
- Employee Assistance Program, a free and confidential counselling service for employees
How to Apply
A full position description is available on our career page: Family Life Careers page.
Please submit your confidential application including a CV and cover letter addressing the key selection criteria via our Application Portal.
For further information regarding the position please contact Kathy Sipcic, Manager Family Connections on (03) 8599 5433.
Applications close:18 September 2023
*We will be reviewing applications as they are received, therefore this role may close sooner if we find the right candidate. Please apply now to ensure you do not miss out!
All offers of employment are subject to the Family Life Safety Screening process, including a Working with Children Check and Police Records Check. Any person issued with a negative notice on their Working with Children Check will not be eligible for employment with Family Life.
Family Life values diversity and welcomes applicants who meet the position criteria, irrespective of race and ethnicity, colour, age, gender, gender identity, disability, religion and sexual orientation.
Family Life is a trauma informed organisation and recognises the unique skills, contributions and insights that come from lived experience.