Family Services Practitioner
Full Time – 9 months Term Contract
At Baptcare, we care. Our Mission and Vision are lived through our WE CARE Values: for our residents, customers, clients, partners, and supporters; with the very young through to the very old, the vulnerable, with families through all of life’s stages and challenges.
Baptcare is a purpose driven organisation working across Victoria, Tasmania, and South Australia. Focused on providing residential and community care for older people and support to children, families, and people with disability, financially disadvantaged people and people seeking asylum.
Our Values are Wellbeing, Ethics, Co-creating, Accountability, Respect and Effectiveness.
The Family Services Practitioner supports vulnerable children, young people, their families and carers. They work across a range of programs and provide families/carers with support within a managed case plan. Practitioners are focused on working with parents, children, young people and carers to promote the best interests of the child/children to ensure their safety and development. This position requires comprehensive parenting assessment and case management capability together with strong interpersonal skills and relevant experience. The Family Services Practitioner provides individual family support complemented by group work and strategies to engage families with their communities.
- Management of case work and co-ordination of supports for vulnerable families/child(ren)/young people/carers
- Development and implementation of family and children centered case plans with families/child(ren)/young people
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other service providers
- Operate within Baptcare Policies and Procedures within a continuous improvement framework
- Contribute to a positive team environment
- Commitment to the safety, well-being and best interests of children and young people, and to the duty of care in the prevention and identification of, and response to, child abuse
- Commitment to the special needs of children and vulnerable people with a disability; from a culturally or linguistically diverse background; and/or from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander background
- Workplace Health & Safety Responsibilities
- The provision of short-term assessment and support for grandparents and other relatives who are adapting to their new role as carer, are in transition, or experiencing crisis
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment by sharing information, skills, supporting colleagues and respecting differences, as well as an understanding and appreciation of cultural diversity within the community.
- Must be able to demonstrate an understanding of appropriate behaviours when engaging with children and with vulnerable people
- Delivery of evidence-based practices, group work and programs adhering to appropriate levels of fidelity
- Assessing and reviewing the support needs of families/child(ren)/young people and carers
- Adhere to all quality processes and contribute to continuous improvement by identifying and complying with system and practice improvements
- Provide support to assist families/child(ren)/young people and carers to link into local supports and navigate their local service systems
- Provide ongoing case management and co-ordination of services
- Assisting and engaging families/child(ren)/young people and carers to implement child focused goals which promote their best interests and ongoing development
- Provide active engagement through assertive outreach
- Make an active commitment to the development and maintenance of a cohesive team and actively participate in staff meetings, team meetings and staff development
- Ability to motivate others and act as a change agent through strengths based and person-centered practice
- Participate in meaningful community engagement
- Using the Baptcare Outcomes Framework, develop, measure and review client outcomes
- Employ effective written and verbal communication skills including computer skills and competent use of IT and data systems
- Keep accurate records and reports that may be presented at court
- Utilise excellent organisational, time management and self-direction skills
- Maintain and update knowledge of and consistently work within relevant standards and legislation including but not limited to the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 2009 (Tas), Child Safe Standards (Vic, but applicable to Tas), Carer Recognition Act 2010 (Cwlth) and 2012 (Vic) and Work Health and Safety requirements
- Train and assess potential Foster Care families
- Participate in on call as required/negotiated
- Undertake responsibility to prepare and submit a range of high-quality written reports to internal and/or external stakeholders as required within specified timeframes
- Management of therapeutic case work and co-ordination of supports for vulnerable young people
- Plan for and provide opportunities for carers to meet as a peer group to address and share issues faced when becoming a carer or by supporting group education and skill development
- Undertake any other duties that are required as part of the role
You are passionate about continuing to grow your career in Family Services space.
Solutions focused and up for making a difference, you align your approach to strategy to achieve organisational and divisional goals. You are a true business partner that instils trust in your stakeholders by demonstrating integrity and accountability.
Working as part of a close-knit team, you collaborate with and support others, demonstrating respect in your day-to-day actions.
You will ideally bring the following:
- Demonstrated comprehensive family and carer assessment skills
- Demonstrated skills in case management and active assertive outreach and engagement with families
- Demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of the Child, Youth and Family services sector including requirements of the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 1997 and key legislative reforms
- Demonstrated evidence informed knowledge and understanding of child development, trauma, family and child/risk assessment skills
- Wholeheartedly aligned with Baptcare’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Demonstrated evidence informed knowledge and application of therapeutic models and theories to develop skill-based interventions that enable positive change
- A demonstrated understanding of the complexity of the child protection, flexible funding interventions, out of home care and the family support systems and the issues involved in providing services to statutory clients
Baptcare is focused on living our values, not just talking about them. You’ll find the culture at Baptcare is one of genuine respect, support, and positive intention. We work hard to achieve results through change, continuous improvement, and ongoing focus on providing the best service delivery to our stakeholders.
Further, the successful candidate will receive:
- A competitive salary, plus access to the tax benefits of salary packaging and novated leasing.
- Access to confidential counselling and support services.
- Be part of an organisation and a team that is driven to make a difference to the lives of our vulnerable community members.
How to Apply
Click ‘Apply Now’ to submit your application.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
- The successful applicant will be required to undergo a National Criminal History check.
- Must have had or be willing to get COVID vaccination
If you require support with the application process, please contact Georgie Venizelos Talent Acquisition Specialist [email protected]
Baptcare is committed to building a respectful and inclusive workplace, appointing the best person for the role, and supporting diversity. We welcome applicants who may require adjustments.
Baptcare is dedicated to the safety, empowerment and participation of all children. We have zero tolerance of child abuse and are committed to a thoughtful, protective environment that supports infants, children and young people to feel safe and respected.