Katherine West Health Board
Established in 1998, Katherine West Health Board (KWHB) is an Aboriginal Community Controlled organisation that provides a range of clinical, preventative and public health services to clients in the Katherine West Region of the Northern Territory. With four major health care centres and a range of satellite centres, KWHB services an area over two times the size of Tasmania (162,000km²), helping to improve the health and wellbeing of some of the most remote communities in Australia.
KWHB’s vision acknowledges the distinct and diverse identity of their people and communities, ensuring member communities are involved in the planning, development and implementation of their health programs. Our holistic services are designed to promote the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being of the person and their community.
What’s on Offer
You can anticipate a fantastic suite of benefits to support your lifestyle including:
- Salary AO4-AO5 (depending on experience) + super + salary sacrifice
- Relocation assistance up to $3000 + accommodation while in community including utilities + potential access to travel allowance
- Study allowance + up to 10 days of study leave
- 6 weeks annual leave + 2 weeks personal leave.
Progress at your own pace with our online learning system and encouraged professional development opportunities.
About the Opportunity
Working under the guidance of the Manager Safe and Strong Families, the Family Support Worker will support expectant and current parents and extended family members to build confidence and capacity to bring up strong and healthy children. As a support worker you will work with families to build practical in-home capacity to support the growing up of healthy and safe children. The position will support safety planning and risk management for families impacted by domestic and family violence. The position requires you to work directly with children at-risk of statutory intervention and may also support the reunification of children in care with birth families, and advocate for improved services and out-comes for clients.
This role is suited to someone with:
- Previous experience in social care work or community development, including case management, community engagement and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience in case management of families experiencing complex challenges.
- High standard of interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to relate sensitively and appropriately with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- An understanding of and commitment to Aboriginal cultural values.
- An understanding of trauma-informed practice and the diverse challenges affecting families in our region.
- Ability to travel regularly to remote and isolated communities by 4WD and light aircraft.
Please note: due to the nature of this role, complete vaccination against COVID-19 is essential.
Katherine West Health Board is a child-safe organisation, committed to child safety and wellbeing in accordance with the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations. KWHB is striving to ensure a supportive working environment which places child safety and wellbeing at the forefront of our service delivery. We are committed to embedding child safety practices throughout our organisation and undertaking continuous improvement to prioritise the safety of all children who come into contact with our organisation, staff, and services.
Living in Katherine
This role is based in Katherine, located 300kms south of Darwin on the Stuart Highway. The population of Katherine is approximately 11,000.
The township has a central shopping centre, cinema, restaurants, hotels, modern hospital facilities, a large high school and primary school options, sporting grounds and a community swimming pool. Katherine is a central base for major government providers and surrounding pastoral properties, as well as the Royal Australian Air Force Tindal defence base.
Katherine enjoys a sub-tropical climate with a distinct wet season (October – March) and dry season (April – September).
The Katherine lifestyle is well suited to those who enjoy nature-based recreation activities such as fishing, bushwalking, camping, canoeing and swimming. A short drive out of Katherine will land you in the iconic Elsey and Kakadu National Parks and their geographic and anthropological wonders. Closer to town, locals regularly enjoy the Katherine Hot Springs, Edith Falls, Katherine Gorge and Nitmiluk National Park and Cutta Cutta Caves.
Find out more about living in Katherine