Wesley Community and Family Care
- part time position (4 days per week)
- based in Fairfield, NSW
- be part of a leading NFP organisation making a difference in the community.
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “A Spirit disciple-making movement: doing all the good we can because every life matters”.
About the program
Wesley Financial Counselling is a free, face-to-face, confidential counselling for individuals and families experiencing personal financial difficulties and/or crisis.
Our program provides comprehensive, specialist counselling support in order to address the immediate distress caused by financial hardship and enable our clients to build longer- term capability to budget and manage their money better and make informed financial decisions in the future.
Our service also recognises the importance of place-based approaches and the impact one’s community can have on all levels of wellbeing. We are therefore committed to imbedding our programs within vulnerable and most in need communities. Including those communities significantly impacted by natural disasters.
About the role
This is a dynamic and challenging opportunity for an experienced Financial Counsellor to join a vibrant and passionate team.
As a DSS Problem Gambling Financial Counsellor, you will be responsible for:
- providing intensive one on one financial counselling support to individuals impacted by gambling harm
- delivering financial literacy group programs to vulnerable communities
- ensuring easy access to financial counselling within highly disadvantaged communities.
If you have a real passion for supporting and empowering clients to make long lasting and significant life changes, this position is for you.
This is a child-related position and preferred applicants will be required to undergo a Working with Children’s Check and a criminal record history check.
To be successful in this position, candidates must possess the following:
- willingness to affirm Wesley Mission’s Vision, mission and values and enthusiastically advocate our Word and deed ministry
- demonstrated ability to work unsupervised as well as an effective team player with a positive
- can-do attitude
- relates well to a range of people with sound listening and problem-solving skills
- displays unconditional positive regard during all workplace interactions
- confident professional attitude with strong initiative
- displays emotional maturity and resilience
- passion for supporting vulnerable and in need individuals
- dedication to developing strong relationships with local community
- willingness to learn and accept feedback.
- hold a Diploma of Financial Counselling
- minimum 3 years industry experience as a Financial Counsellor
- accredited member of the Financial Counsellors Association of NSW
- experience and/or competency in delivering community education programs
- experience in telephone assessment and counselling skills
- computer literacy
- excellent time management, multi-tasking and follow-up skills
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- understanding the importance of family/ community eco systems
- high level of cultural competency
- understanding of strength-based practices
- current NSW Driver’s License
- current Working with Children’s Check.
- FCAN recognised peer supervisor
- welfare industry experience
- an interest in and/or knowledge of problem gambling issues
- sounds background and training in general counselling
- experience in trauma counselling.
Benefits of working at Wesley Mission
- access to EAP – Employee Assistance Program
- monthly line support supervision
- opportunities for professional development
- opportunities to attend annual financial counselling conference
- access to discounted health and travel insurance
- career growth and training opportunities in a valuable sector
- attractive tax saving salary packaging.
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the SCHADS Awards Level 5 Pay point 1. Generous salary packaging benefits available.
29th September 2023.
Please find a copy of the Position Description here: https://www.wesleymission.org.au/careers-and-volunteering/financial-counsellor/
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria.
For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Contact name: Sue Gunning
Email: [email protected]
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.