We believe all young people have the right to achieve their full potential irrelevant of circumstance. The development of the whole person is of utmost importance and we are guided in developing this through the YMCA’s philosophy of valuing a person’s Mind, Body and Spirit. We believe that this holistic approach is best delivered through a flexible individualised learning environment, to maximise positive outcomes for every individual.
Are you passionate about making a positive impact on the lives of young people? Do you thrive in a collaborative educational environment?
YMCA Vocational Schools provide adjusted education programs and vocational training to secondary students, who would benefit from an alternative learning environment. With campuses across Brisbane, the school supports students in their journey to employment. Students participate in programs dedicated to enhancing practical and personal skills at a pace that encourages school attendance, engagement and confidence.
YMCA Acacia Ridge (Brisbane South) Junior Campus is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Youth Worker to join our team on a permanent, full time basis.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This role is based in the classroom and involves actively supporting teachers and vocational students in the planning, delivery, and enhancement of academic learning, wellbeing, and vocational programs. Additionally, you will play a vital role in the support, case management, and mentorship of disengaged students, fostering intentional relationships to identify and address their strengths, passions, interests and unmet needs.
- Collaborate closely with teaching staff to support the planning and execution of academic lessons, vocational programs and wellbeing initiatives
- Assist in creating an inclusive and supportive classroom environment that encourages engagement, participation and personal growth
- Provide one-on-one and group mentoring to disengaged students, offering guidance, motivation and advocacy to help them reconnect with their education
- Develop and implement strategies to address behavioral, emotional and social challenges that students may face, ensuring their holistic development
- Establish intentional relationships with young people, actively listening and understanding their individual needs, strengths, interests and concerns
- Work alongside students to set achievable goals and aspirations, providing guidance and support to help them realise their potential
- Collaborate with other support staff, parents and external agencies to create a comprehensive network of support for students
The ideal applicant will hold a genuine passion for assisting young people in understanding their full potential, regardless of their background or individual circumstances. You will thrive in the knowledge that your guidance can impact young people to recognise their true value in a holistic sense and gain fulfilment from seeing them grow into young, empowered adults.
This candidate will also meet the following selection criteria:
- Certificate III or above qualification in Youth Work, Community Services or similar qualification
- Proven experience working with young people, preferably in an educational or youth development setting
- Strong understanding of adolescent development, mental health and social issues affecting youth.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to connect and engage with students, staff and stakeholders
- Empathy, patience and the ability to build rapport with diverse groups of young people
- Knowledge of case management principles and experience in providing support to individuals with complex needs
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
A salary commensurate with experience and qualifications will be offered to the successful candidate, plus the ability to salary package (up to $15,900pa).
In addition, The YMCA offers many employee benefits including:
- Free YMCA gym membership
- Discounted rates at our childcare facilities
- Discounted rate on selected health care through Medibank Private
- Discounted accommodation rates at the George Williams Hotel
- A range of online benefits through our online employee discounts and benefits program
If you are a dedicated individual with a passion for supporting young people’s growth, education, and wellbeing, we encourage you to apply.
Click the ‘APPLY’ button and submit your resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience meets the selection criteria.
At The Y, we are committed to empowering all Children and Young People to feel safe and be safe; at The Y, in their families and in their communities. As such, we ensure that all of our candidates are appropriately screened (including police checks) to make sure that the right people are in the right roles. To learn more about our screening processes, click here to view our Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy: https://ymca.org.au/about-us/safeguarding-children-young-people/safeguardingresources