Position Title: Healing House Manager
Salary: $90k to $110k annual salary (rate depends on qualifications and experience)
Reporting Relationship: CEO
Relevant Government contract grant officer
Other support services in Cooktown and surrounds
Gungarde Community Aboriginal Corporation is a not-for-profit organisation delivering a range of services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Cooktown and surrounding districts.
Gungarde vision is to provide a sustainable service to the Indigenous Community in Cooktown and surrounding areas. Act in the best interest of indigenous people, and foster positive initiatives for the greater benefit of the region as a whole.
Our corporation aims to provide our community members with adequate accommodation, health programs, access to education and work opportunities. Whilst promoting the preservation of Aboriginal social and cultural integrity.
Gungarde Community Centre Aboriginal Corporation is based in Cooktown Far North Queensland and has been operating since 1982.
Purpose of the Position:
We want to employ a person who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client’s individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people to apply.
About the role
The House Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of our 6-bed residential house in Cooktown. You will strive to enhance the lives of young people, over 16-year-old and adults in the residential house and grounds, incorporating a therapeutic, trauma informed approach within the daily structure and purposeful programming and day visits clients. The maximum stay is for 2 nights at a time, depending on the house capacity and client circumstances.
There is a strong emphasis to provide a secure base for our clients within the home, liaising with culturally appropriate services, and providing opportunities for people to obtain their required support.
This position is being offered as a permanent, full-time position for 12 months, with continued employment dependent of securing ongoing operational funding.
The objectives of the position are:
Initially reporting to the CEO and Gungarde Board of Directors, formal working relations
Responsibilities and Duties
- Build professional, trusting relationships with the house clients through visible interest and active engagement.
- Ensure the home is a place that is emotionally and physically safe, nurturing, and appropriately engaging and stimulating, to foster growth and resilience.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Departmental Case Plan (where applicable) and develop and implement the plan that drives day to day service delivery.
- Coordinate the intake and transition of clients into the home and the exit of clients to permanent homes or step-down services.
- Provide a monthly written report to the Gungarde CEO and updates on a weekly basis.
- Appy for grant funding and grants for the continued future of the house.
- Liaise with other Service Providers, Police, and community members.
- Minimum Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention, mental health or similar (essential).
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, Social Work, Psychology or similar (desirable).
- Experience working with adult men and youth who have experienced trauma and disadvantage.
- Experience in the co-ordination and management of 24-hour residential services for vulnerable people.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and leading a team.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage crises and critical issues and deal with complex and challenging situations.
- Current Unrestricted Australian Drivers Licence.
- First Aid and CPR Certificates (or willingness to obtain if successful)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills, use of Microsoft Office packages.
- QLD open drivers licence
- The applicant will be required to undergo probity checks including criminal record checks and working with children check (where relevant to the position).
Additional Requirements (not essential)
- QLD LR Drivers licence.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men are encouraged to apply.
- An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant, including non-for-profit tax reduction options.
- Corporation small bus vehicle (LR licence required) and fuel card.
- Ongoing support and training provided.
- Single unit accommodation included.
- Permanent Full Time Position for 12 months, subject to securing future Operational funding for the Gungarde Healing house.
Two referees are to be nominated, including the applicant’s current supervisor.
Applications addressing the selection criteria are to be received by no later than midnight on 31, August 2023
Please address applications to
Private & Confidential:
Human Resources Officer
Gungarde Community Centre Aboriginal Corporation
PO BOX 6, Cooktown, QLD 4895
Or email to: [email protected]