Become part of a contemporary and diverse counselling team where you can genuinely make a difference in the lives of children and young people.
As a counsellor you will have the unique opportunity to develop a broad range of skills and develop your practice experience within a nationally recognised service, working within an empowerment and child-centered practice.
Realise your potential at yourtown.
Powered by yourtown, Kids Helpline is Australia’s only free, confidential 24/7 support service that protects and safeguards the mental health of children and young people in Australia. We provide young people with a choice of counselling options and accessible self-help tools when and where they need them.
Since 1991, Australia’s kids and young people have been turning to our professional, specialised counsellors, no matter who they are, where they live or what they want to talk about. Over this time, we have responded to over 8.5 million contacts. For some young people, connecting with Kids Helpline has been a life-saving experience, while for others it’s about practical help and emotional support at the critical moment they need someone to listen.
key information about being a Counsellor:
• You will be passionate, driven, professional, and aligned with yourtown values & our mission!
• Your practice will be reflective and invite insights and continuous development through operational and practice supervision frameworks
• Our services are provided by phone, email, and online so this is an important area for you to feel confident in learning new approaches and practices
• Being open, confident, and agile in learning new systems or responding to technological change is important
• yourtown delivers a 24 hour/ 7 day a week service; this allows for part time or full time opportunities, and flexibility in the type of shifts you do. This model does require Counsellors to be flexible to a variety of shifts in a roster across the full operational scope, inclusive of weekends and overnights as required. Rosters are negotiated on commencement.
• Kids Helpline is a high availability service, this means that we want to be able to answer as many contacts from young people as possible. To make this a reality, our dynamic counsellors work to key performance standards, expectations and service indicators.
• This intake of Counsellors will commence with yourtown on Monday 6 November 2023
• Mandatory Professional training (full time/ business hours) will be required across the period 6 November – 17 November 2023
applying to join our team
We are interested in hearing from you! You may be an experienced counsellor, or you may currently work with young people but may not have delivered direct counselling services. What is key to yourtown, is that you genuinely want to make a difference in the lives of children and young people, and can demonstrate the following key criteria:
• Relevant bachelor degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counselling, Human Services
• Minimum of 1 year counselling experience, or other related experience in working therapeutically with young people
• Demonstrated high level of commitment to the principles of client centred practice, empowerment and confidentiality
• Ability to be flexible and resilient across a 24/7 shift work environment
• Ability to work across technology and systems
We invite you to visit https://kidshelpline.com.au/careers to explore more about being a Counsellor with Kids Helpline, including information about rosters, salary and training.
Please submit a cover letter (max 2 pages) with your application outlining:
i. What tertiary qualifications at Bachelor Level and/or above you hold, the date completed and the institution
ii. The total hours of direct one-on-one counselling you possess and when and where you completed these hours
iii. The total hours of direct client practice with children and young people you possess, when and where you completed these hours; and the nature of the work
iv. Why you are interested in this role
To apply and view the full position description, please visit: https://kidshelpline.com.au/careers
When you join yourtown you will be welcomed into a safe, inclusive, and diverse community and an established and reputable national organisation. We are a resilient, resourceful, and dedicated team who strive to make a difference and not accept the status quo.
Your employment experience will include:
• salary sacrifice options to increase your take home pay
• regular line supervision and support plus internal practice supervision
• opportunities for internal and external professional development
• free access to LinkedIn Learning including over 16,000 learning modules
• a genuine focus on employee health and wellbeing
• yourWellness program includes free access to Calm & Centr Apps
• access to free and confidential counselling sessions for you and members of your immediate family
• access to discounted private health insurance, banking and finance, insurance, and superannuation through our partner organisations
• an environment that genuinely values diversity and cultural capability and is an equal opportunity employer
how to apply
If you believe in the power of young people and in yourself, join team yourtown and have an amazing impact on the lives of young people, their families, neighbourhoods and the wider community in Australia.
To apply, and for a full Position Description please visit: https://careers.yourtown.com.au/.
Contact: Marnie Elliot – Talent Acquisition Specialist on 0434 609 384
Role closes: 1 Oct 2023
yourtown is committed to providing services that protect and keep children, young people and adults at risk free from harm. The appointment of successful applicants will be subject to satisfactory screening for child-related employment including the completion of a National Criminal History Check and retention of a valid Working with Children Check.
yourtown supports vaccination as the best way to keep our people and our communities safe from Covid-19. We require all employees, volunteers, students and contractors to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as a condition of employment.
“In our team we value diversity, inclusivity and people who want to make a difference”