As an organisation we have a clear focus on how we service and partner with our community, including our strategy of helping the community stay well when at home. Our reputation of community minded, inclusive and progressive is matched to none.
Positions available now and for the 2024 graduate intake
Northern Health Mental Health Division is pleased to be offering positions to Social Work graduates and early career Social Workers, located across the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Positions can be tailored for suitable graduates for commencement currently, or prior to January 2024.
Our mental health programs have an unmatched 20 years of experience in providing supported learning positions to new and recent Social Work graduates.
Northern Health offers a comprehensive two-year program that enables graduates to consolidate and enhance their Social Work knowledge and skills, within a structure that supports graduates toward becoming highly skilled and capable mental health Social Workers. The program will equip you with the confidence and competence to provide high standard, evidence-based, person-centred, recovery-focused and family sensitive care to consumers experiencing serious mental illness.
The program comprises:
- An extended comprehensive orientation
- Regular Social Work supervision and monthly peer support sessions.
- Regular training and education sessions tailored and targeted for employees of the program.
- A peer network of graduate mental health social workers across Northern Health.
- Rotation after the initial 12 months to enable direct clinical experience to be gained across two different mental health service settings (community team, inpatient unit, prevention and recovery centre, community care unit).
- Protected learning time and a graded workload
- Transition support to continued employment at Grade 2 level toward the end of the two-year program.
- Full-time working hours with a monthly ADO.
- Generous salary packaging and employee benefits
- Access to paid study leave for additional professional development days.
- Position classifications may range from Social Worker Grade 1, Year 1 to Year 4 (YC35 – YC 38) depending on experience.
We are looking for:
- Recent graduates and graduates who will be completing their Bachelor or Masters level qualification in Social Work prior to January 2024, with associated eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).
- Qualified social workers seeking transition early in their career to a specialist mental health role are also very welcome to apply.
- An enthusiasm for building a career in the mental health field and an eagerness to make the most of the structured learning opportunities on offer.
- Applicants who hold a full driver’s licence.
- The ability to commence employment no later than 30 January 2024.
- Upon application you will be asked to nominate preferred roles to be considered for based on clinical focus and/or geographical location of the role.
Your prospective new team:
Successful candidates will be offered 2 x 12 months of employment at each of two of the programs/locations below. Additional details regarding specific rotation details and information regarding particular team settings is available via the position description.
- Northern Community Care Unit (CCU) and Prevention and Recovery Centre (PARC), based in Preston
- North West Community Care Unit (CCU) , based in Broadmeadows
- Hume Community Team based in Broadmeadows
- Hotham Street Community Team, based in Preston
- Northern Psychiatric Unit (inpatient) based at The Northern Hospital, Epping
- Specialist Aged Persons Consultation Service – Community and Inpatient Roles – Bundoora Extended Care – 1231 Plenty Rd, Bundoora – Community Role – 35 Johnstone Street, Broadmeadows
Next Steps . . .
If this opportunity sounds like your next career move, then we would love to hear from you. Please click on the ‘Apply’ button and follow the prompts.
For further information, please refer to the key result areas, major responsibilities and selection criteria located within the Position Description below:
For further enquiries, please reach out to:
Teresa Pagano – Chief Social Worker NWAMHS via: [email protected]
Jen Williams – Chief Social Worker NAMHS via: [email protected]
Paul Sutherland – Chief Social Worker NAMHS via: [email protected]
Hannah Lavery – Social Work Professional Lead, Aged Mental Health via: [email protected]
Applications close 20th August 2023
We offer a range of benefits to support and reward staff both personally and professionally, which includes:
· Health and Wellbeing programs, including our ‘Thrive’ program
· Flexibility in the workplace and extra leave options and support
· An inclusive and culturally safe space
· State of the art facilities and campus partnerships
· A commitment to ongoing professional development through our ‘Learning Labs’
· Access to salary packaging, EAP and our online library
For a glimpse of life at NH, click here.
Work with us! Northern Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce which reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, as well as applicants who are LGBTIQ+, who have different abilities, or are from culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds are encouraged.
All employees of Northern Health must comply with the health service’s Staff Health / Workforce Immunisation procedure (as amended from time to time) together with any relevant State Government and Departmental directives. This requires all employees to be vaccinated for various diseases such as, but not limited to influenza and Covid-19.