- Ideal work/life balance – Permanent part time – 56 hours per fortnight
- Utilise your lived experience of a mental illness to assist others in their recovery journey
- Work within an innovative & passionate multidisciplinary team
About the service
Barwon Health’s Mental Health Drugs and Alcohol Services (MHDAS) provides integrated and recovery orientated mental health and drug and alcohol assessment, treatment, harm reduction and community and family support to people of all ages within the Barwon Region currently experiencing, or at risk of experiencing mental health and/or drug and alcohol issues. We are committed to supporting lived experience as a key discipline in mental health service delivery across our acute, community and specialty services.
About the Lived Experience workforce
Barwon Health’s MHDAS is committed to the integration and expansion of Peer Work into our Service Delivery consistent with recommendations of the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System.
MHDAS recognise the strength, courage and unique perspective of people with lived experience of mental health, as well as their carers, as a vital contribution to our service. We have lived experience roles embedded into the leadership, design and delivery of our services and our LE workforce are employed in a range of roles across the service.
About the Consumer Peer Support roles
We are seeking empathetic and committed people who can draw on their own lived experience, as a recipient of public mental health or drug and alcohol services to provide peer support and information to consumers across our service. We have opportunities suitable for candidates with minimal to no experience, all the way up to experienced and trained senior peers.
Key duties of Consumer Peer Support Workers :
- Support service users on their recovery journeys, enhance their connection with their local communities and reduce the risk of unplanned re-admissions or relapse
- Collaborates with other Consumer Peer Workers for the delivery of groups
- Support communication to consumers, plans and facilitate groups, and undertakes administrative tasks.
- Providing expert input into the development of new peer programs
- Develops relationships with internal and external services
- Contribute to education activities designed to promote a greater understanding of peer work and the value of lived experience input into the service
- Senior Peer Workers will oversee individual and group peer supervision.
Please note applicants may be contacted prior to closing date.
About you as a consumer peer worker
- Lived experience of mental illness (distress) and/or drug and alcohol use
- Lived experience of engagement with public mental health services
- Lived experience of recovery and understanding of own personal recovery process
What we offer
- Flexible working arrangement
- Professional development opportunities
- 5 weeks annual leave with the option to purchase additional leave
- Doorstep to the Great Ocean Road, Bellarine Peninsula and the Surf Coast
- Attractive salary packaging benefits!
- Living Expenses capped at $9,010 and includes repayments on mortgages, credit cards, personal loans and rental payments
- Meal Entertainment & Accommodation capped at $2,650 and includes food and drink consumed in a social or entertainment settings and some accommodation expenditure
Diversity and Inclusion
At Barwon Health we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We embrace diverse life experiences and the perspectives of our people, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation.
If we can assist you with any reasonable adjustments in order to submit your application for this role, please contact the Mental Health Recruitment via email at [email protected]
Applicants for this role must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and influenza and meet the requirements of the Barwon Health immunisation policy.