- Permanent – Part Time / 18 hours per week
- Located at North Nowra High School
Churches of Christ in NSW consists of a network of more than 60 churches that seek to be committed to the person and ways of Jesus, seeking to embody his ministry of restoration of all creation. We have around 4000 people in NSW and ACT who are part of this network. Our Mission & Ministry team work directly with the leaders of this network – strengthening the pastoral and governance leaders, supporting churches through training and development, and encouraging the ongoing growth of a vibrant, interdependent group of churches who participate in God’s work in their communities.
About the role
The Chaplain to Nowra High School provides pastoral support and spiritual care to Students, their families and Staff, whilst working collaboratively with the churches of Christ chaplaincy team to provide holistic care
About the responsibilities
- Assisting school counsellors and staff in the delivery of student welfare services
- Being available to provide guidance on general religious, spiritual and pastoral matters (including values and ethics) for the school community.
- Being available to provide comfort and support to students, staff and families during times of stress.
- Liaising with executive staff, school counsellors and individual teachers to identify and support students in need.
- Providing holistic care.
- Taking an individual interest in students in need, building on their strengths and supporting them through difficult issues
- Develop a holistic chaplaincy ministry (spiritual, emotional, social & physical) appropriate to the School community;
- Lead self by contributing to the overall culture of a High School by being a loving, joyful, enthusiastic non anxious presence. Keeping up to date records and data entries;
- Fulfil the legal requirements of the role;
- Participate in the programs offered for the care and support of chaplains;
- Stay at the forefront of his/her own ongoing professional development;
You will be able to demonstrate the following key qualities:
- Possess recognised theological, chaplaincy and pastoral care qualifications or equivalent experience providing pastoral care in a school setting;
- To be endorsed as Ministering Person with Churches of Christ in NSW or a willingness to undertake endorsement;
- Be available to minister outside of normal working hours in the event of emergency, crisis and unexpected need;
- An understanding of school chaplaincy;
- Perception of an individual’s spiritual needs;
- Sensitivity to the needs of a person as they progress through their life stages;
- High spiritual integrity and a heart to serve in Gods Kingdom.
- Relevant Tertiary qualifications and/or experience related to the youth focus required by the position.
We are interested in hearing from you if you have:
- A minimum of three years’ experience providing pastoral care or chaplaincy services at an advanced level in a school or community environment;
- Associate Chaplain minimum of twelve months experience providing pastoral care at a basic to intermediate level;
- Possess intermediate level computer skills using outlook, word, excel & power point;
- Highly developed problem solving, decision making and negotiation skills;
- COVID vaccinations and booster
- Possess a current National Police Check, or ability to acquire one;
- Possess a current Working with Children Check or ability to acquire one;
- High level communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in an organisational setting;
- Current Drivers Licence
About the Benefits
As a School Chaplain-Nowra at Churches of Christ in NSW you will enjoy:
- Staff engagement and well-being focus
- Paid parental leave
- Personal discounts across airfares, white goods, and pest control.
- Employee assistance program.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume via this link https://freshhope.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/144?c=freshhope“Apply” before 1 September 2023.
Want to know more?
Email our people & culture team at [email protected] to organise a chat or to receive a copy of the position description.