Are you a professionally accredited psychologist, social worker or PACFA registered counsellor looking for a rewarding career that offers flexibility? Our School Counsellor roles offer a unique environment for you to refine your skills, working in a small team with ongoing support and professional development from a dedicated Manager. We are looking for experienced practitioners with a passion for working with young people. The presentations that we deal with are often complex so a level of experience and maturity is essential for these roles. We have full-time and part-time opportunities based in our Primary or Secondary schools.
Catholic Care is an organisation that values and actively promotes diversity and inclusion and service to community. Our School Counselling Program works across Catholic schools within the Archdiocese of Sydney. Our Counsellors are based in the school and support student well-being by:
- Providing individual and group therapeutic counselling services and referrals for students, family members and advice to school staff
- Providing services to the school community, including workshop/education sessions for students, parents and staff
- Supporting the school community during and after critical incidents
- Liaising with other agencies and external services where appropriate
What can we offer you?
- A comprehensive orientation process
- Regular clinical and peer supervision opportunities
- Ongoing professional development
- Paid term breaks
- Access to generous salary packaging, which allows you to save on tax and increase your overall take home pay
- We value your wellbeing and offer free access to a premium mindfulness app, EAP counselling, weekly yoga sessions, yearly flu vaccinations and other regular wellbeing activities to support you through your working day
To be a successful candidate you will have:
- The ability to undertake the duties of the role in accordance with CatholicCare’s Mission, Vision and Values and its Code of Ethics and Conduct in partnership with Sydney Catholic Schools
- Registration with the Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA), full membership with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) or provisional membership (as a minimum) with the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA)
- Minimum two years’ experience post qualifying, in providing counselling services addressing emotional and/or behavioural needs to children and adolescents, and their families, and to At-Risk students.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current NSW Child Protection Legislation
- Demonstrated knowledge of child/adolescent development and mental health issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to work collaboratively with a team and engage with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in working with culturally and linguistically diverse clients
- Experience in delivery of group work and presentations, and the capacity to develop and deliver social/emotional education to staff and parents
- The ability to work independently, a willingness and capacity to take initiative and to manage a high-volume counselling caseload through a solution focused lens
- A full unrestricted NSW Driver licence and access to a car
How to apply?
Click Apply to view the Position Description & Information Kit and begin your online application!
To be considered for this role, you will need to attach your resume and a cover letter addressing how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role.
Applications for this position close on 16th August 2023 unless a successful candidate is selected earlier. Please submit your application as soon as possible as shortlisting for this position will commence immediately.
Candidate suitability will be assessed by attending interview and the completion of assessment tasks. From this process we will confirm suitability for a role as a School Counsellor and discuss with you current and upcoming vacancies.
Need more information?
Please refer to the Information Kit where you can access further details on the program, employment conditions and benefits, our selection process and other frequently asked questions.
If you cannot find the answer you need, contact Amber Thompson, by email at [email protected].
CatholicCare Sydney is a leading not-for-profit agency supporting people from all walks of life. We’re an organisation that promotes diversity and inclusion, and commits to the growth and wellbeing of our staff, empowering them to make a positive change to the community. CatholicCare is the official social services agency of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney.
At CatholicCare, we believe vaccination to be the best way to keep our people and our communities safe from Covid-19. We require all employees, volunteers and students to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as a condition of engagement.
CatholicCare requires the preferred applicant to undertake a National Criminal History Record Check prior to employment and requires a Working with Children Check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander & other culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people living with a disability are encouraged to apply.