Kirrae Health Service Inc. is a not-for profit Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation and is committed to helping Close the health Gap between Indigenous and non Indigenous people. Located in Purnim/Framlingham, close to Warrnambool, we are surrounded by beautiful trees and koalas, in the heart of our local Aboriginal community.
We are looking for an awesome SEWB practitioner, to join and lead our SEWB team. We are truly family friendly and if you want to make a difference and work in a happy and skilled multidisciplinary team we have the job you are looking for.
Work practice will include:
- Utilising a range of studies and resources, including Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health and wellbeing principles and practice and the Balit Durn Durn SEWB Wheel.
- Building, protecting and promoting social and emotional wellbeing and self-determination
- Intervening early to reduce the impacts of mental illness, suicide risk and misuse of alcohol and other drugs
- Enabling and supporting recovery and connection to family, community and culture
- Taking a family therapy approach to work practice
- Supporting self-determination
Job Functions & Role Responsibilities
- Work with individuals and families who are affected by a range of presenting issues
- Recognise and respond to the impact of past trauma, dispossession, separation of families, ongoing social disadvantage, racism and other historical, social and cultural issues that impact on the social, emotional and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals, families and communities.
- Acknowledge the need for a holistic approach to health to improve the SEWB of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Support and facilitate client decision making, control and capacity to manage their own mental health and provide family inclusive support.
- Undertake or facilitate trauma informed assessment and care appropriate for Aboriginal people
- Counsel and support clients specifically in regard to issues of grief, loss and trauma resulting from their removal from family, as well as any other issues impacting on their wellbeing
- Advocate and provide appropriate referrals to other related or professional support services as required.
- Provide regular service promotion and outreach services to ensure ease of access for clients
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with other SEWB and AOD services, mainstream mental health services, state and territory government departments and non-government programs and services as required
- Managing program budget/activity funding as per funding Agreements
- Ensure formal external supervision for team members is ongoing
- Provide clinical supervision for team, debriefing, coaching and mentoring
- Ensure the delivery of high quality services, including compliance with relevant legislative requirements, accreditation, standards and other quality requirements.
- Ensure safety and effectively manage risk to team and organisation
- Ensure the SEWB team completes all reporting requirements
- Other tasks as designated by the Practice Manager
Key Selection Criteria – Must be addressed as part of your application
KSC1 Facilitating evidence based trauma informed, therapeutic counselling for individuals and families, working on collaborative therapeutic relationships with clients
KSC2 Ability to counsel and support clients in regard to issues of grief, loss and trauma
KSC3 Ability to ensure safety and effectively manage risk to team and organisation
KSC4 Ability to lead a team with good shared knowledge management practices
KSC Knowledge of the mental health, community services and child protection systems
Experience – Please address as part of your application
- Facilitating evidence based trauma informed, therapeutic counselling for individuals and families, working on collaborative therapeutic relationships with clients
- Understanding that the client is the expert in their own mental health and wellbeing
- Desirable but not mandatory – experience working with Aboriginal communities
- Working with teams in a leadership capacity
- Experience in community engagement
- Desirable but not mandatory – experience in Family Therapy
- This position is full time, Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm daily with no rostering or shift work hours.
- Attractive remuneration package including daily bonus all year round.
- Full free access to our onsite Health and Well-being programs including GP’s and allied health services such as Optometry, Chiropractor, Massage Therapist, Diabetes Educator, Dietitian, Osteopath and more.
Please note a police check clearance and a WWCC will be conducted as part of the recruitment process. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Full unrestricted drivers licence is a requirement of this position.
Applications should address the Key Selection Criteria and Experiences sections above.
Applications close September 29, 2023
Please see our website www.kirraehealth.com for a Position Description and the Key Selection Criteria. Email all applications and selection criteria to: [email protected]