About the Organisation
Every day, Life Without Barriers provides support and care to children and young people, as we work collaboratively with families, carers, and communities, to ensure they have the environment they deserve to grow. With a focus on ensuring safety and respect, this is an opportunity to make a positive and meaningful difference in these young lives and help pave a brighter future.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client’s individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
As a Therapeutic Permanency Specialist, you will be responsible for equipping and supporting staff and carers in their provision of therapeutic care, including facilitating Reflective Practice sessions, Care team meetings, placement matching and collating and reviewing outcomes measures and ongoing quality improvement
While our Therapeutic Permanency Specialists do not generally perform clinical work children and/or young person, you may be required to conduct relevant child related assessments and develop/supervise the implementation of therapeutic, child focussed care plans & positive behaviours support plans.
This is a Permanent Full Time position based in the Ballina region. Flexible hybrid working arrangements are available however, regular travel throughout the region is required and a company vehicle is provided for this.
- Provide evidence informed advice and recommendations on understanding and minimising negative impacts of trauma, promoting healthy age appropriate development and building and strengthening skills and competency.
- Provide evidence informed training and support for carers and staff regarding therapeutic support.
- Lead implementation, maintenance and monitoring of Children and Residential Experiences (CARE) principles and practice, Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) and Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, Families (TCIF) – including Staff and Carer competency review, training, coaching and mentoring as appropriate
- Undertake assessments and reviews such as Behaviour Support Plans and Restricted Practice Plans as needed to best support the ongoing needs of Children & Young People.
- Coordinate preventative strategies to ensure continuity of care and mitigate placement breakdowns
- Advocate on behalf of Children & Young People by engaging agencies and organisations to support consistent therapeutic practice
- Contribute to intake assessment and client matching processes to support the transition of Children & Young People into placements
Skills & Experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Psychology, Social Work or similar
- Current registration or eligibility for registration with the professional body or Psychology board of Australia to practice as a psychologist
- Completed, currently completing or agreement to undertake a unit of learning consistent with nationally recognised competency CHCDIS006
- Demonstrated experience in working with children or young people in out of home care who have experienced trauma, abuse and/or neglect
- Ability to develop and promote positive person-centred behaviour supports
- Strong understanding of the impact of trauma and complex behaviours
- Current Driver’s Licence
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check, NSW Working with Children Check and NSW Residential Care Worker Register check.
To be considered for and appointed to a position at Life Without Barriers, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a minimum of two (2) doses or hold a valid medical exemption certificate, in accordance with Life Without Barriers Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. You will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status during the recruitment process
- Flexible hybrid working arrangements, including work from home/office/client locations
- Generous Salary Packaging Benefits – claim up to $15,900 per year, tax free!
- Tool of Trade vehicle + Monthly RDO
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Kristy Crowe at [email protected].
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 24th September 2023
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications are continuously reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice.
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA