About the Organisation
Every day, Life Without Barriers provides support and care to children and young people, as we work collaboratively with families, carers, and communities, to ensure they have the environment they deserve to grow. With a focus on ensuring safety and respect, this is an opportunity to make a positive and meaningful difference in these young lives and help pave a brighter future.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client’s individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
As a Therapeutic Specialist, you’ll play an important role in the lives of Children & Young People within our Therapeutic Residential Care program. The Children & Young people in our care have backgrounds of complex trauma, abuse and/or neglect, and in some cases physical and/or psychosocial disabilities requiring support.
In this role you will undertake conduct assessments, develop and supervise the implementation of therapeutic plans & positive behaviours support plans along with providing provide ongoing practice support, coach. mentoring and training to team members.
This is a Permanent Part Time position based in Barwon or West Melbourne with flexible working arrangements (hybrid – office/home base) available. Regular travel to our service locations throughout Victoria is a requirement of this role and a tool of trade vehicle will be provided.
To be considered for and appointed to a position at Life Without Barriers, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a minimum of two (2) doses or hold a valid medical exemption certificate, in accordance with Life Without Barriers Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. You will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status during the recruitment process
- Champion the CARE Principles and TCI system as the model for delivering Intensive Therapeutic Care in our residential settings.
- Facilitate regular reflective practice and clinical support sessions for direct care staff.
- Develop and assist in the implementation of Behaviour Support Plans & Individual crisis management plans of Children & Young People.
- Undertake various assessments of Children & Young People, as determined by their current and ongoing needs.
- Provide expertise and support to the residential service staff in the formulation and ongoing management of client plans, and to ensure purposeful programming is provided in line with CARE principles.
- Coordinate preventative strategies to ensure continuity of care and mitigate placement breakdowns.
- Advocate on behalf of Children & Young People by engaging agencies and organisations to support consistent therapeutic practice.
- Support client matching, contribute to intake assessments and support the transition of Children & Young People into homes.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree qualifications in Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy, Mental Health Nursing or related (Post Graduate qualifications will be highly regarded)
- Experience in a therapeutic care setting or working in a clinical environment with Children and Young People in OOHC
- Significant experience using evidence-based assessment tools with young people with trauma informed behaviour.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of child development and complex trauma and its effects on children and young people in out of home care.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check, VIC Working with Children Check and Disqualified Carer check.
- Do Work that Matters at one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Generous Salary Packaging Benefits – claim up to $15,900 per year, tax free!
- Tool of Trade Vehicle Allowance – $12,000
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Sadna Patel-Thomas at [email protected]
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 1st of October 2023 (AEDT).
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face-to-face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA