Our programs and support services are designed to ensure that the most marginalised members of our community have access to essential health, welfare, social and recreational services, as well as offering a place where people are welcome just to be part of community.
We are blessed with more than 600 active volunteers who cover over 250 shifts each and every week at Wayside. Without the commitment of our volunteers, we simply could not open the doors each day.
Our volunteers are the first to greet all visitors at our front desk, to serve customers in our Op Shops, and make a hot cuppa for those in need who visit our Cafés.
The Volunteer Lead is responsible for overseeing all volunteer-involving activities and for the delivery of our Volunteer Strategy – to grow, scale and sustain our volunteer program in new and existing locations.
- In line with the National Standards for Volunteer Involvement, lead in the delivery of safe, impactful and enjoyable volunteer activities which contribute directly to Wayside’s strategic goal, mission and purpose.
- Management of the Volunteer Coordinator and oversight of day to day running of Volunteering including onboarding, rostering and general enquiries
- Managing escalations, complaints and grievances
- Change management activities for the implementation of new volunteering processes, models, and initiatives – including the new Wayside Volunteer Strategy
- Develop and manage volunteer communication and engagement strategies and processes for existing and prospective volunteers, to attract, retain and engage volunteers in new and existing locations
- Managing communications channels including gathering content for, writing and publishing the volunteer newsletter
- Work alongside the WHS lead to promote health and safety. Take reasonably practicable steps to control risks and ensure incidents are reported
- Schedule, plan and facilitate Volunteer Working Group meetings and activities
- Volunteer briefings for key events such as Long Walk Home and Christmas Day Produce and maintain documents to support volunteer engagement such as Position Descriptions, event briefings and handbooks
- Plan, develop and deliver learning and development opportunities for volunteers and for Wayside employees who work with volunteers
- Plan and deliver promotion, recruitment and onboarding strategies to grow the volunteer program in new and existing locations through a range of channels
- Reporting metrics to Executive team, wider organisation and relevant bodies, including on the delivery of strategic goals and operational plans
You will have:
- Highly developed influencing, relationship building and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering large Volunteering programs and implementing volunteer strategies and plans
- People management experience including both paid staff and volunteers
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary volunteering and workforce planning issues
- High-level problem-solving skills with the ability to identify issues or problems and recommend strategies, ideas and opportunities for resolving them
- Well-developed interpersonal, public speaking, written and program development skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including written content production for newsletters and emails
- A connection to and alignment with Wayside’s mission, strategy and values
You will be supported by the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that Wayside’s immediate and future needs are met.
This role is part of our People and Culture Team and reports to the Head of People and Culture.
To apply, please follow the link. Include your CV and a covering letter detailing your motivations and relevant experience. For more information, please reach out to Tom Stevenson, Talent Lead [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so please do not wait until the closing date to apply if you are interested.
Please note that we are firm in our belief that we must embrace all efforts within our remit to manage and mitigate the spread of COVID-19. So, we have made it mandatory for all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Offer of employment to the successful applicant is dependent upon completing a Police Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencing employment.