Welfare Worker – Nova House
- Casual position
Bendigo Community Health Services are seeking motivated and passionate people to join our residential withdrawal team. This is an exciting time for drug and alcohol treatment services and BCHS is offering an opportunity to work in a dynamic, forward thinking and modern residential withdrawal unit. If you have an interest in alcohol and other drug treatment work this is an ideal opportunity to join a very experienced and supportive team and engage in a challenging and rewarding career.
The position provides welfare services to consumers who are undertaking alcohol and drug withdrawal within the adult residential withdrawal unit – Nova House and BCHS is looking to attract applicants who have previously delivered services to consumers through support roles in residential settings.
The position involves shift work – including days, evenings, nights and weekends.
Bendigo Community Health Services has cared for the health and wellbeing of the Bendigo community for more than 40 years. As an organisation we employ more than 200 people across a broad range of services, you will find working at Bendigo Community Health Services both challenging and rewarding.
The success of BCHS starts with our staff, who have a high level of professionalism and dedication allowing BCHS to deliver quality services for the community with a particular focus on the vulnerable and disadvantaged.
The role of the position is to support persons undergoing withdrawal from Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) within the Adult Residential Withdrawal Service (Nova House).
The focus of the role is to provide a comprehensive, accessible, high-quality range of care and support to individuals and their families accessing withdrawal services from across the Department of Human Services regions of Victoria.
A qualification in Welfare Work, Community Development, Youth Work, Social Work, Counselling or other health science related field, which meets the registration requirements of the specific discipline in Victoria or demonstrated experience of a minimum of two years working in a related field is required for this position.
Key Selection Criteria
- A Certificate, Diploma or Degree in Welfare, Community Development, Youth Work, Social Work, Counselling or other health science related field, which meets the registration requirements of the specific discipline in Victoria or demonstrated experience of a minimum of two years working in a related field.
- A commitment to attaining the AOD minimum core competencies (if not already achieved) under your own undertaking within the first two years of employment.
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Demonstrated ability to provide a comprehensive range of care and support including, assessment, case coordination, care planning, discharge planning and facilitation into other support services.
- Demonstrated understanding of a range of related areas including blood-borne virus prevention, overdose prevention and management, relapse prevention and other harm reduction and harm minimisation interventions.
- Demonstrated capacity to work shift work Monday to Sunday as rostered along with the capacity to work unsupervised on evening and night shifts and at other times as required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with consumers, partners, families, staff and other service providers.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to demonstrate the values of Bendigo Community Health Services.
- Competent level IT skills and the use of computers for word processing, email and internet.
- Alcohol and Other Drug core competencies (including CHCAOD402A, CHCAOD406D, CHCAOD408C and CHCMH4010A).
- Experience in working in a community or residential support services setting.
- Current CPR certification.
- Current driver’s licence.
For further information about the position contact Sheenah Van Eck on 5406 1507 or to view the full position description go to Current jobs – Bendigo Community Health Service www.bchs.com.au/careers/current-jobs
How to apply
Applications addressing the Key Selection Criteria should be emailed to [email protected] by 10pm Sunday, 8 October 2023.
Only applications addressing the Key Selection Criteria will be considered.
Bendigo Community Health Services encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds and abilities.
Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt. Applicants are requested to contact Human Resources on telephone 5406 1312 if an automatic acknowledgement has not been received.