Youth & Family Social Worker / Counsellor
Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services (PSFaNS) are currently seeking a Social Worker (or Counsellor) to join our Child, Youth and Family team for 4-5 days per week. The Child, Youth & Family team works with young people and all or some members of their families with the aim of reducing the likelihood of children and young people entering or remaining in the child protection system.
Who we are
PSFaNS is an amalgamation of Port Stephens Family Support Service and the Raymond Terrace Neighbourhood Centre, with both centres delivering service to the Port Stephens Community for over 35 years. The service is evidence informed and staffed by specialist teams to provide evidence based programs in the areas of Homelessness, Domestic and Family Violence, Child, Youth and Family Counselling and Casework, Early Childhood Groups & Programs, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural knowledge, support & programs, emergency financial relief assistance and more.
PSFaNS is aware of the many barriers the community faces in accessing services. We believe it is important for the service system, of which PSFaNS is a part, to not create more.
Your day to day role at PSFaNS
With the experience and expertise you hold in relation to violence and trauma informed service delivery to young people and families, your role will include:
- Working with young people and their families in a therapeutic, developmental and supportive role; informed by strength-based approaches;
- Counselling with young people and families focusing on: domestic and family violence and sexual assault, child protection, mental health issues, alcohol and other drug use, parenting and life skills;
- Youth drop in centre: facilitating/supporting weekly open groups and LGBTQIA+ youth groups at ‘The Deck’ youth venue;
- Co-developing case plans with families, including safety and risk assessments;
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of local resources for young people and their families to address areas of inequality and injustice;
- Meeting with young people in their homes, school, community venues;
- Advocacy at all levels – young people are silenced, and too often not taken seriously. Your role is to bring focus to young people’s voices, views, and human rights.
Selection criteria/the experience you will bring:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work or related fields. Consider contacting us to discuss further if you are in your final year, or newly graduated;
- Demonstrated experience in counselling with young people and their families;
- Experience working with and alongside Aboriginal communities; LGBTQIA+ and gender diverse communities; culturally and linguistically diverse communities. This work must be underpinned by values of human rights, accessibility, intersectionality and social justice;
- Compassion, flexibility and creativity in working and engaging with young people and families;
- Working with Children Check, Police Check, COVID-19 vaccinations.
What we offer:
- SCHCADS Award Level 5 and above award conditions;
- Up to 6 weeks paid leave per year, including 4 weeks of annual leave and up to 2 weeks paid additional leave + gifted leave over the Christmas and New Year period;
- PSFaNS staff are supported with service vehicles for home visiting and outreach services;
- The option to salary sacrifice;
- External supervision with highly regarded providers holding expertise in: domestic/family violence, intersectionality, political systems, counselling;
- Flexibility, with respect to the young people you work with, your own needs, and community factors;
- Training and development opportunities including regular staff development days with key speakers, and team-building/enrichment activities;
- Opportunities to share your work: attending conferences, interagency networks, etc.;
- A supportive and welcoming team environment.
When applying for positions please address each of the selection criteria, include a copy of your resume and contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your last supervisor) and email this information to:
Applications will be assessed once received and successful applicants will be contacted for interviews soon after. Position is available for immediate start.