- Role: Youth Programs Team Lead
- Status: Full Time
- Reports to: General Manager – National Programs
- Award: Level 5-1, Social, Community, Home Care & Disability Services Award 2010
- Location: Minus18 Office at the Victorian Pride Centre, 79-81 Fitzroy St, St Kilda VIC
- Salary: $102,949.45 Full Time Salary Package (Non-PBI Equivalent) + Super – includes:
- Base Pay $93,860.00
- Up to $6,385.95 in tax-savings via our offered charity salary packaging.
- $2,703.00 allowances and cash benefits
- + $10,324.60 Super (11%)
Minus18 is Australia’s charity improving the lives of LGBTQIA+ youth. We support LGBTQIA+ young people through events and digital platforms, and provide fee for service LGBTQIA+ inclusion training to schools, businesses and community organisations. Since 2011 over 100,000 young people have engaged in these services across Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, and millions more via digital platforms.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Youth Programs Team Lead will be a dynamic and inspiring leader responsible for overseeing Youth Programs at Minus18. This position takes an active role in the Young Leader Program, planning fortnightly development sessions for LGBTQIA+ youth aged 18 to 25. This role is instrumental in fostering leadership skills, personal growth, and community support among participants. With a commitment to empowering LGBTQIA+ youth, the Team Lead will play a crucial role in creating a positive and impactful experience for program participants.
The Team Lead will also manage a team of Event Coordinators providing oversight and guidance to support them to coordinate the successful execution of our events. Our events range from small scale digital events to large high intensity 400+ dance events. The Youth Programs Team Lead will be at the forefront of creating a transformative and supportive environment for LGBTQIA+ youth. Their dedication to leadership development, event coordination, and fostering positive relationships will be instrumental in empowering young leaders and ensuring the success of Minus18’s mission. You can learn more about our Young Leader Program by visiting our Website
ABOUT THIS POSITION
- Effectively lead, coach and develop a high performing team with strong technical and interpersonal skills through work plans, 1:1’s, coaching and engaging with professional development.
- Assist in the recruitment of new Team Members
- Make decisions within the Team Leader matrix of authority.
- Work with the General Manager of National Programs to create targets, calendars and budgets that align with strategic goals.
- Lead and engage in cross departmental working groups and internal meetings to develop and use systems to improve the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of programming work.
- Effectively manage the capacity of your team including leave and working arrangements to ensure high team performance.
- Lead and engage in team planning and processes, ensuring increasing alignment between organisational strategic priorities and the activities undertaken within the team and on the ground.
- Be a visible and approachable leader creating strong internal relationships.
- Foster a positive working culture across your team encouraging team development, curiousness and cohesion.
- Foster strong positive working relationships that support the goals of Minus18 and foster a culture of collaboration, innovation and service excellence
- Ensure that direct reports collaborate with each other and coordinate their work effectively by sharing lessons and planning and learning together
- Other actions as assigned by the General Manager of National Programs.
YOUNG LEADER PROGRAM
- Work with the Marketing Team to recruit Young Leaders program participants each year.
- Lead the Young Leaders Program to assist young people to develop leadership skills, community building, and personal growth..
- Plan and facilitate sessions that create a safe and inclusive space for open discussions, skill development and mutual support.
- Support and train Young Leaders to participate in our events as part of their programming.
- Regularly review program outcomes and event feedback, using data-driven insights to improve future sessions and events.
- Foster a positive and inclusive team culture, encouraging collaboration and professional growth amongst Young Leaders.
- Work with the Strategic Relationships Team to ensure sponsorships requirements are met and opportunities are available to Young Leaders.
- Maintain a database of Young Leader Alumni providing opportunities for engagement where possible.
- Create and facilitate internal visibility between our young leaders and internal teams to celebrate the youth-driven nature of this work.
- Ensure compliance with our Youth Safety Practices in your processes and collecting of volunteer information.
- Maintain regular feedback initiatives, including surveys and group discussions to ensure program is aligned with the needs of LGBTQIA+ young people
- Convert program feedback into impact reports for sharing with the wider community, stakeholders and funding providers.
YOUTH PROGRAMS SUPPORT
- Lead the team of Event Coordinators to provide support, direction and resources to ensure the smooth execution of the events program.
- Ensure regular reviews of all programs and participants to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Oversee all events delivered by your team, ensuring they align with the mission and values of Minus18.
- Collaborate with the Event Coordinators to plan event logistics, timelines, budgets and identify volunteer requirements.
- Where necessary effectively manage and recruit volunteers to support in the delivery of events.
- Work with the GM of National Programs to ensure programs meet the current needs of LGBTQIA+ young people and understand experiences and opportunities for improvement.
- Develop and implement communication initiatives to build community, reputation and engagement with program participants.
- Ensure the team is implementing and maintain accurate process mapping, best practice guides and training guide documentation for Youth Programs and youth engagement.
- Support your team to prepare Program Reporting.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
The ideal candidate has:
- Previous experience in leading youth programs, preferably with a focus on LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and mentor
- Exceptional organisational and project management ability.
- Experience in event planning and coordination is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safe and appropriate practices within program delivery
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated passion for Minus18’s mission to improve the lives of LGBTQIA+ youth
HOW TO APPLY
When applying for this position, ensure to send us the following:
- A copy of your CV
- A short Cover Letter or pre-recorded video (max 5 min) introducing yourself, and briefly responding to the Key Selection Criteria. Please ensure this is uploaded to a 3rd party service (such as Youtube, Dropbox, etc) and shared via URL on your CV or Cover Letter
We’ve provided a significant amount of information about this role to support your application process, and give you a full understanding of what you’re applying for. Research shows that men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, while other genders (and intersecting identities) tend to only apply when they check every box. If you think you have what it takes but don’t meet every single criteria above, we would still love to hear from you.
Minus18 is committed to promoting and advancing equal opportunity for LGBTQIA+ people, especially LGBTQIA+ people in our strategic priority groups (People of Colour, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people, and people with culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds). We encourage people in our strategic priority groups to apply, and to let us know if any special assistance is required during the application process (including barriers to recording and uploading your video). Need assistance? JobAccess includes help finding work, changing jobs, accessing DES providers and workplace modifications to help you find / maintain employment. Please email [email protected] your questions.